CA finishing problem ??? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Pen View Post
I am a newbie as well. I have found a similar issue using the pump spray accelerator.

First of all, I notice that it does not seem to be an evenly distributed projection of accelerator. But also, I find that some areas can receive too much accelerator.

I actually decided next I would try the aerosol because it seems to be both a finer spray and more even throughout.

I was wondering, what is in the aerosol accelerators? Same as pump? Mentioned above, is DNA denatured alcohol?
I should have mentioned that I have the lathe running at slow speed when I apply accelerator. This evenly distributes it around the blank. Accelerator is only a means of speeding up the chemical reactin of the CA. Once it starts, it begins to set the surface of the CA, and any extra accelerator you add is only wasted and runs off of your blank onto the lathe. Keep paper towling on your lathe bed when using CA.

Aerosol sprays should have the same make up as the pump spray, only they are under pressure. They may have different formulas to keep from infringing on patents. Yes, DNA is denatured alcohol, unless you are standing in front of a judge.

I prefer the spray pump because it does not emit a fine mist into the air you are breathing. Wear a mask!! It is also less expensive than the spray cans. You can buy it in 8oz bottles and transfer it to a smaller easier to handle container. Just my choise. Jim S

Last edited by plantman; 03-05-2014 at 10:46 PM.
plantman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I use the aerosol stuff, because it produces a finer mist. I run into problems when larger droplets hit the CA. Even with aerosol, I start the spray above the blank and quickly sweep downward until I'm below it before stopping. It's a very quick motion, literally a flick of the wrist.

Thinner coats are always better than thicker. I can get away with using no accelerator with thin CA and blue paper shop towels, but I tend to give it a quick dusting anyway every 4-5 coats to be safe. Others use medium CA sans accelerator, but I don't have great luck with that. Your experience may be different.

If you find something that works for you, by all means share it! I've gotten my method to a pretty reliable level, but I'm always looking for new and better techniques. Billofwrites's airbrush idea sounds promising!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

I use the aerosol stuff, because it produces a finer mist. I run into problems when larger droplets hit the CA. Even with aerosol, I start the spray above the blank and quickly sweep downward until I'm below it before stopping. It's a very quick motion, literally a flick of the wrist.

Thinner coats are always better than thicker. I can get away with using no accelerator with thin CA and blue paper shop towels, but I tend to give it a quick dusting anyway every 4-5 coats to be safe. Others use medium CA sans accelerator, but I don't have great luck with that. Your experience may be different.

If you find something that works for you, by all means share it! I've gotten my method to a pretty reliable level, but I'm always looking for new and better techniques. Billofwrites's airbrush idea sounds promising!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

I agree that the pumps deliver too coarse of a mist and that aerosols are finer. If you prefer a fine mist, but want to avoid the higher cost of buying the pressurized aerosol cans, you may want to consider a refillable aerosol can. Yes, these are a bit expensive initially, but considering you can buy the accelerator in 8oz bottles and refill and pressurize the bottle with your air compressor, the cost comes down in a relatively short time.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Pen View Post
I am a newbie as well. I have found a similar issue using the pump spray accelerator.

First of all, I notice that it does not seem to be an evenly distributed projection of accelerator. But also, I find that some areas can receive too much accelerator.

I actually decided next I would try the aerosol because it seems to be both a finer spray and more even throughout.

I was wondering, what is in the aerosol accelerators? Same as pump? Mentioned above, is DNA denatured alcohol?
I should have mentioned that I have the lathe running at slow speed when I apply accelerator. This evenly distributes it around the blank. Accelerator is only a means of speeding up the chemical reactin of the CA. Once it starts, it begins to set the surface of the CA, and any extra accelerator you add is only wasted and runs off of your blank onto the lathe. Keep paper towling on your lathe bed when using CA.

Aerosol sprays should have the same make up as the pump spray, only they are under pressure. They may have different formulas to keep from infringing on patents. Yes, DNA is denatured alcohol, unless you are standing in front of a judge.
That's kind of impossible since the aerosol need a carrier and propellent. This is the same reason that medical formularies are chemically different and have different physiological effects than other administration routes.
Jim Burr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 17

I like to spray the piece with accelerator and wipe it down with a towel before applying the CA. I get 2 things out of this.. The accelerator helps clean sawdust out of the grain and helps bring the color out a bit more. I can get about 5 coats before the cure time slows down.. let it set up.. spray, wipe and go again..

I've been using Mercury thin CA and love the stuff.

I did the egg that way. Well mostly.. I put 4-5 coats of WTF down before the CA to warm the color up a bit.

Last edited by sschering; 03-06-2014 at 04:48 PM.
sschering is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads