CA finishing problem ??? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default CA finishing problem ???

Hi,
I have just recently started to make pens, and facing this CA finishing problem.

After watching hundreds of clips on YouTube about CA finish, since they all make it appear to be an easy process, I decided to give it a try.

The problem I am having is as soon as I apply the CA accelerator (not the spray can but the pump), the pen instantly turn cloudy/foggy white. With sanding, I can get rid of this white aspect, but I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Without the CA accelerator (Satellite City to not name it), I get good results, but I need to wait 5 minutes between each coat, which makes it a long process for a single pen

I tried it on different type of wood, tried thin and medium CA, and running at low speed (500rpm) but no avail yet.

Any suggestions?
pierre2342 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre2342 View Post
Hi,
I have just recently started to make pens, and facing this CA finishing problem.

After watching hundreds of clips on YouTube about CA finish, since they all make it appear to be an easy process, I decided to give it a try.

The problem I am having is as soon as I apply the CA accelerator (not the spray can but the pump), the pen instantly turn cloudy/foggy white. With sanding, I can get rid of this white aspect, but I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Without the CA accelerator (Satellite City to not name it), I get good results, but I need to wait 5 minutes between each coat, which makes it a long process for a single pen

I tried it on different type of wood, tried thin and medium CA, and running at low speed (500rpm) but no avail yet.

Any suggestions?

yes, the foggyness can occur. try spraying lighter and a bit further away.

if you use a thin or medium viscosity glue it will dry up within 30secs depending on how thick of a coat you are putting on. more thinner coats are better than fewer thicker coats. also when you put on thicker coats it tends to always sag/drip once you turn off the lathe. then you have a lot of sanding/shaving to do to get it back round again.

just my two cents...

Pitoon

www.UnitedHerps.com . My personal Facebook page . United Herps Facebook Page

2014 - 5th place Advanced Beautiful Pen contest / 6th place Antler, Bone and Horn Pen Contest
Pitoon is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Use aerosole accelerator with short burst from 12" away while the lathe is running. The pump applies too much accelerator in small spots.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Step back some. I had the same problem but with the spray (never used the pump). I took a full step backwards and vuala.
hagemierj is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 190

Try putting the accelerator on using paper towel with lathe off,you can turning lathe by hand, you don't need much accelerator one squirt on the paper towel then rub it length ways along the blank.

SUCH IS LIFE. Down Under.
johncrane is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Very lightly spray the accelerator at least 18" from the pen, across the room will work too. As long as it's in the neighborhood it will work.
WB
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 72

Use thick or gap fillng CA, it drys slower, gives you a longer working time, and will not cloud up when accellerator is applied if you wait 5-10 seconds before applying. Thin or medium CA will cloud up and fume if accellerater is applied too quickly or you are tring to fill in a hole or gap and it's puddled. It's worked for me for many years. Jim S
plantman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Many times, the pump accelerator is DNA or isopropyl alcohol, it will fog CA in half a second!! Try the aerosol CA...short burst...I like 18-24" away, but JMHO.
Jim Burr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I am a newbie as well. I have found a similar issue using the pump spray accelerator.

First of all, I notice that it does not seem to be an evenly distributed projection of accelerator. But also, I find that some areas can receive too much accelerator.

I actually decided next I would try the aerosol because it seems to be both a finer spray and more even throughout.

I was wondering, what is in the aerosol accelerators? Same as pump? Mentioned above, is DNA denatured alcohol?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 2

When I use accelerator, I apply it with an inexpensive air brush.
It allows you to apply just a very fine mist.
I have it hooked up to a spare tire for air pressure. Nice and quiet. Just have to pump up the tire every now and then.

Bill
thebillofwrites is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads