CA finish resulting in chiping and lift - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default CA finish resulting in chiping and lift

Ok, can anyone explain why sometimes CA works well on one wood and the next pen (using same wood) results with the ends lifting up off the wood?

I use CA thin (applied with a paper towel) and accelerator between each application. I sand down with micro mesh and after removing the blank from the lathe I sometimes git lifting (apparent with cloudy edges) that obviously can't be sold at that point. Sometimes I can completely sand back down and reapply with success and other times I will get the same issue.

I'm thinking that the problem is at the time of separating the bushing from the wood that it chips or lifts the CA, but though this separation occurs with every pen, the lifting is only occasional. I know some of you use wax on the bushings but I have found that this can be disastrous. I heard that some pre-soak the ends in thin CA - I haven't tried this.

It would be nice to have an approach that is more consistent. To much wasted time.

Thanks,
Mike
mdwilliams999 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mike.... i know when that happens to me... I am using either an oily wood...or a wood that has too high of an moisture content....

For the oily wood...I wipe the wood down well with acetone....then very quickly get my first coat of CA down... and i dont get those cloudy or lifting spots anymore...

for the wet wood...I Let those cure for awhile before using them....and make sure that it has been warm in the garage for awhile before using them....

in both cases...it has stopped the cloudy and lifting CA finish for me :~)

Troy
yort81 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Why is it when someone bowls three strikes in a row and the next frame results in a 7-10 split? Simple answer is there was something wrong with their technique on the 4th frame. In your case I would offer the suggestion that you did something slightly different on the ones you are getting problems with. Even the tiniest of variation in your technique can have profound changes to your results. practice, practice, and more practice and you most likely will "feel" what you are doing right and/or wrong and you will have less and less "failures" as you learn. Not a specific answer that you may of hoped for but one that I think might do you more good.
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Used to have this problem until someone pointed me in the direction if johnnycnc .. Now a wipe with acetone and finish this way and no issue whatsoever:

[url=http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_15[/URL]

Last edited by dansills; 08-22-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: The hyperlink won't paste correctly ... Apologies.
dansills is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Every piece of wood is different, no matter where it is from. Same with your technique unless you are a robot. The weather changes constantly. If you want instant gratification, you are in for a frustrating future.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder how many times this question has been asked. Has to be in the hundreds. LOL
MobilMan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

If I have a concern about this, I use a razor knife to score the joint between the barrel and the bushing. Never happened since.

Jake
RetiredJake is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilMan View Post
I wonder how many times this question has been asked. Has to be in the hundreds. LOL
And yet, we still don't know the exact answer
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Get a dead center from Grizzly $5.00 along with your live center and apply the CA between centers. You will use no bushings therefore nothing for the glue to stick to. When you are done finishing, you need to be sure to sand ALL of the glue off the ends of the blank or it will pop or delaminate off the blank when the trim rings press into it.
Ruby pen turning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

+1 on doing your CA between centers.

Here is what I do, think I listed this before
Condensed version.
  • Cut, Drill, and glue tubes in.
  • use your squaring method to square ends.
  • soak ends with thin CA, and turn the blank.
  • Sand and apply CA then sand-polish per your method (No Bushings just the tube between centers)
  • Sand ends to remove excess CA buildup from ends, (I use the back side of my squaring tool with adheasive back sand paper on it.)
  • Assemble....
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads