CA Finish Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonnyFever

All,

I have recently been attempting CA Finishes. Currently, after sanding, I apply the CA to the blank while still between the bushings and on the mandrel. However, when I am done, I find that the bushings end up being glued to the blank and any attempted removal of the bushings ends up cracking the finish. What do you recommend I do to avoid this in the future?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I also use those non stick bushings mention by Drewboy. I have also just turned between centers with no bushings at all (just the 60 deg live and dead centers in the pen body). Having done both, I prefer the non stick bushings.

Skie_M

You can pick up a delrin rod and make your own non-stick bushings.

The usual method, however, involves grabbing your skew or a cut-off tool and very gently, just outside the blank, cutting through the CA .... and then doing your final sanding/finishing on the lathe.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Use an EXACTO knife point to score through the CA near the end of your blank but, NOT on the blank....on the bushing. Take the blank off the lathe and, rock the bushings back and, forth while holding the blank (may need some pliers for this) The CA while snap and, you can pull the bushing out. Then....lay a piece of 320 sand paper on a flat surface and gently rub the blank ends on the paper to smooth and, square the ends. :wink: You can soak your bushings in Acetone to remove the CA. I use a little plastic tub with a lid like, veggie dip or, something. Couple hours should do it then, wipe them off.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You can pick up a delrin rod and make your own non-stick bushings.

The usual method, however, involves grabbing your skew or a cut-off tool and very gently, just outside the blank, cutting through the CA .... and then doing your final sanding/finishing on the lathe.
Sorry....didn't see this one.:redface:

edstreet

These 'special' bushings you will find Ca will still stick to them. The better and superior choice is to wax the bushings you use. With the right method they will come off like this.

attachment.php

If you remove the tube say after 400 grit and clean up the ends it is way easy to profile the ends to be near perfect every time.

In case anyone is wondering yes you can use the overage on the steel bushing as a guide reference point so you will know exactly how thick your CA is when you are unable to see the blank itself.

attachment.php

Work WITH the equipment not against it. Using delrin is working against the CA.

Attachments

• super-gold-over-bushings.jpg
    super-gold-over-bushings.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 423
  • overage_measure.jpg
    overage_measure.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 386

jallan

I use both the wax and the non stick bushings and find the was works much better and as Chuck said don't get the wax on the wood.

jttheclockman

Finish your blanks between centers with you dead and live center and eliminate bushing all together. That in my opinion is the best method. Or make some derin cone shaped bushings.

edstreet

Finish your blanks between centers with you dead and live center and eliminate bushing all together. That in my opinion is the best method. Or make some derin cone shaped bushings.

That only works with a very small subset of the finish arena, which is thin film coverage. If you have any gap filling going on then the game is off without bushings. You NEED that stop gap support to do a good buildup on the end of the tubes.

jttheclockman

That only works with a very small subset of the finish arena, which is thin film coverage. If you have any gap filling going on then the game is off without bushings. You NEED that stop gap support to do a good buildup on the end of the tubes.

Say what. Works for all kinds of finishing. I will say this I would never want my blanks to look like the one you shown and have to deal with trying to trim those ends without cracking. I will once again stick by my opinion and not be told differently. I too have done this for quite some time and feel I am well accomplished in what I do.

Now this is where Smitty jumps in and says I am too personal. :mad:

Dale Lynch

Bushingless is a good way to ensure the ends get finished as well as the rest.If there is a bushing butted up against the barrel finish will not be able to get to the ends.

edstreet

A good CA finish is flexible and that excess in the photo's I posted can easily be trimmed off. I did a few short vid clips showing how flexible it is.

Being personal? Not at all.

jttheclockman

A good CA finish is flexible and that excess in the photo's I posted can easily be trimmed off. I did a few short vid clips showing how flexible it is.

Being personal? Not at all.

Just another way of doing a CA finish in a long line of methods. Add it to the list.

Rockdust

A way to get it apart without hurting your wood is

Put your blank with the glued on bushings in a zip lock bag then put that in your freezer for a few hours and it will come right a part. I used to glass bed rifle stocks and when one would not come apart I would put it in the freezer over night and the next day just give it a little tap and it would come right apart. It saved my butt many times, Chuck

csr67

After using a mandrel/CA bushings for months, I finally wised up and bought a 60 degree live and dead MT2 centers for my lathe. About $25 total on Amazon. Why did I wait so long????

Soooooo much easier to do CA, and no more bonding with the CA bushings and resultant end damage when breaking the finished blank free!

I had 12 bolt action blanks to finish this weekend, and the live centers made it so much easier. They came off perfect, with no build up on the ends. A quick turn of the tailstock screw and I could release the blank and load up the next one. No more mandrel and CA bushings for me, ever!

jttheclockman

After using a mandrel/CA bushings for months, I finally wised up and bought a 60 degree live and dead MT2 centers for my lathe. About $25 total on Amazon. Why did I wait so long????

Soooooo much easier to do CA, and no more bonding with the CA bushings and resultant end damage when breaking the finished blank free!

I had 12 bolt action blanks to finish this weekend, and the live centers made it so much easier. They came off perfect, with no build up on the ends. A quick turn of the tailstock screw and I could release the blank and load up the next one. No more mandrel and CA bushings for me, ever!

There you go. I am glad it worked out for you. It is the way I do all mine and I too learned from someone before me who tried it and am sure it went down the line. Someplace there was that one person who thought of it first.:) Always has to be a first.:) Good luck and happy turning.

Top Bottom