CA finish issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

Well, I just got one of Elmostro's Resin and wood segmented blanks the other day and I turned it down to fit a Majestic Jr. Very happy with the way it turned out. I used a CA finish as always. I had run out of paper towels so I used some similar quality napkins and applied the finish as usual. When done the pen looked really good. Move ahead 24 hrs and I'm looking at the pen today and notice the pen body has crazing in it now but its not all the way through it looks like it might be in the first couple of layers of finish. The pen cap is fine no crazing what so ever. Other than changing the material I applied the CA with I didn't do anything different. Any ideas why this happened.

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Gonna guess heat is the culprit... or else some sort of contaminant in the napkin... doesn't explain why the cap was not affected though... did you do the cap after the body?.. using the same napkin?... maybe the contaminant was transferred onto the cap and was gone when you did the body...

Tough call...

wb7whi

Maybe looking from the wrong side of the question. What would you do to make the crazing happen on purpose?

I think you can rule out the napkin because tghe cap made it fine.

You think it is happening in the upper layers of the finish so that would rule out the wood.

Is the crazing even throughout the blank or splotchy? If it is even did you use an accelerator?

Is the pen god angry with you for some reason?

I had a similar thing happen with a wood and acrylic blank. It looked like the first few layers separated from the wood. I sanded back to wood and used DNA to clean the blank and refinished the pen.

pensmyth

I finished both blanks at the same time and used a light spray of accelerator between coats. The only thing I did different was use the plain white napkin in place of paper towels. I think I might have to chalk this one up to the angry pen gods. I will now go sacrifice a pen blank in their honor to appease them...

Top Bottom