CA finish gone bad??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Vey

Hi

I had made quite a number of pens using CA as a finish as described here and on other forums (or is it fora). Now I have one pen in use for about 10 month, not daily, but at least it is going with me to work once or twice per week or so. I see some areas showing dull spots, i.e. the shiny CA finish is gone. Has anyone here seen the same or is this the only case (so far). The wood is Amboyna Burl, the pen is a Am Flattop style. I finished it with Hot Stuff medium, after I sanded it to about 3200 MM, I applied several coats, sanded in between (2400 - 4000 MM) and the finished off with one or two coats of the thin stuff, MM from 3600 on to 12000 and top coat with Ren wax.
Did I do anything wrong or is the uneven density of the burl wood playing a role?? I am just curious if anyone else has seen this, I am just afraid that some of the ones I sold show the same effect. I do not longer use CA as finish anymore, but this is another story.

Rudy

SE Mi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arehrlich

I wonder if pens finished with Enduro suffer the same fate. Can anyone comment on the wear of the CA finish - or whether Enduro does the same thing?

lan

ryannmphs

I have had that happen only with Cedar pens. I think it has to do with the natural oils in the wood.

If I read your post right you did medium CA first then thin CA? Should really be the other way around. Thin for a general sealer, then medium or thick as a finish to build up the CA. Just my $.02 worth. Change please!

Ryan

its_virgil

The pens I carry that have a CA finish show no signs of deteriating. The are shinny and tough. I use nothing on top of the CA...well I have been using TSP as of late...but no sign of finish failure. I use med and thick CA...three coats with BLO; MM to 12000 and then polish with HUT ultra gloss plastic polish.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by arehrlich
<br />I wonder if pens finished with Enduro suffer the same fate. Can anyone comment on the wear of the CA finish - or whether Enduro does the same thing?

lan

Tom McMillan

Wow, Rudy sorry to hear that---I've been using 3 coats of thin CA only, then RW or TSW now---but, too early to know how they'll wear. Although, I have carried around my contest pen a bit---but, not enough to notice any wear at all. Have you retreated it with RW--or, are you saying the CA is worn off??

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Rudy--the Renaissance Wax needs to be refinished from time to time. It's a very thin coat. That should be all it takes to shine it back up. If the CA is scratched (remember, it's plastic!), a light touch up with MM8000 or MM12000 and a re-coat of Renaissance Wax should bring it back as good as new. One of the Do's and Don't's posted here frequently (last by Old Griz, I think) is that your pen needs a polishing a couple of times a year. Make sure all customers know that!

jwoodwright

Any finish will wear... Look at Bowling Alleys... They refinish every so often.

Corian is the only material I've found that is not affected by skin oils or the enviroment a pen is likely to be found...

I've sold lot's of Corian as People don't understand that a finish will wear...

Gregory Huey

IMHO all finish will wear after a period of time. This will vary do to skin oil make up and type of use as well as the type of material. I agree with lou wax and buff your pens as needed.

glm1157

Originally posted by ryannmphs
<br />I have had that happen only with Cedar pens. I think it has to do with the natural oils in the wood.

Hi Ryan,

What happened with the CA finish on the cedar pens? I'm new using CA/BLO and think I've got it down. Mostly. The last 6 pens have got a CA/BLO finihs and look good except for two. They were my first barons and I used wood from the Woodcraft bargain box. I don't know what it is. It's soft and might be cedar. Anyway the shinyness of the finish went to hell overnight. There are still shiny parts but they are small and they seem to follow the grain of the wood a bit.

The other pens look great. I assumed it was something I did but I'd really like to hear that it might be the wood instead. It would help solve this riddle.

Thanks,

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom