CA Finish Cracking - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 18

How well does Mercury flex keep in the case of infrequent usage? I keep having my stickfast go bad on me.

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
How well does Mercury flex keep in the case of infrequent usage? I keep having my stickfast go bad on me.
Mercury Flex CA has a realistic shelf life of about a year. Unlike other brands, Mercury has an unconditional, lifetime guarantee on all their products. If there is ever a problem, contact your dealer for a replacement.

Mercury’s CEO, Eric Ferher, explains it like this... “We stand behind all our products no matter when they were purchased. The Mercury warranty is simple…. Unconditional.”

Robert Kulp Creations
robertkulp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 47

There is a well documented issue with Stickfast CA glue cracking when used as a pen finish. I have never heard of any other glue having that problem. I use the EZ Bond glue Monty used to sell here, now sold by Exotic Blanks. I have never had an issue with it as a pen finish.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thats good to know I have only used Stickfast. I have had no problems yet. But will be switching.

Leo
Leo S. Long is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
There is a well documented issue with Stickfast CA glue cracking when used as a pen finish. I have never heard of any other glue having that problem. I use the EZ Bond glue Monty used to sell here, now sold by Exotic Blanks. I have never had an issue with it as a pen finish.
It was not simply Stickfast, but the version supposedly engineered for finishing, in my experience. I never had a problem till I bought a bottle and started using it. Problem went away soon as I discarded the bottle. I look forward to trying the Mercury CA.

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I just posted asking this same question, i was using the Mercury flex, cracked like a SOB
CA cracking

About 10 coat of thin, glue is fairly new. I think the cracking is do to it not completely curing between coats, even with accelerator, this stuf doesn't seem to cure nearly as fast as regular CA.

Get the Pressure Pot Caddy!
Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

BeeAMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeAMaker View Post
I just posted asking this same question, i was using the Mercury flex, cracked like a SOB
CA cracking

About 10 coat of thin, glue is fairly new. I think the cracking is do to it not completely curing between coats, even with accelerator, this stuf doesn't seem to cure nearly as fast as regular CA.
You're correct... Mercury Flex CA doesn't cure as quickly as regular CA. It's engineered with a long open time and is designed to be used with accelerator. If your finish cracked, it sounds like you used too much for each coat. It requires just a minimal amount and using too much at a time will cause problems.

Robert Kulp Creations
robertkulp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads