CA Finish Cracking - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default CA Finish Cracking

I have been using thin CA to finish pens for some time without a problem. However recently I found 4 pens where the CA finish is cracking. I have reviewed many posts and see many methods of application but am still confused. I have been using 10 coats of thin CA with activator. As a test I now spray activator on the blank first followed by 4 coats of thin CA without activator. I let the blank dry over night and then micromesh to 12,000 grit. I then apply 3 more coats of thin CA and agin let it dry overnight before again using micromesh. Question: Are others using activator first on the blank before applying CA. Any other thoughts on getting a great finish?
Marcopenturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Any chance you're using Stick Fast CA? I had the same problem when I did. I did not use accelerator though.

I've switched to Mercury Adhesives Flex and haven't had it since. I am using their accelerator. I put the CA on and then give it a shot or two of accelerator.
BCnabe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Lately, several people have mentioned cracking CA. I never had a problem with it; it might be technique and it could be the brand. I remember one fellow with cracking CA before the last couple of years and that was about 7 or 8 years ago. he was putting his pens in display cases with the sun shinning into the room/store and the heat was causing expansion/contraction problems on the wood, which caused the cracking. By the way, those particular pens were cross-cut blanks. Crosscut blanks have different expansion rates than straight grain.

My thoughts are first: How thick a layer of CA are you adding? Do you use calipers to measure your turned blanks and then the thickness of the amount of CA. Very thin coats will be more prone to cracking than thicker coats.

My second thoughts are: why use activator? CA cures quick enough without it. In your warm and humid environment, CA should cure just as quick without activator.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 9

I'll second Mercury Flex. I use five coats of Mercury Flex thin with Mercury activator between applications. Leaves a nice smooth finish that requires little to no sanding. From what I understand the "flex" component reduces the chance of cracking. Mercury Flex was supposedly designed specifically for use as a finish.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use 5 coats of thin CA with a light spritz of accelerator after each coat. Then I use 10-15 coats of medium CA with a light spritz of accelerator. I then wait maybe 30 min. to an hour and then sand 400 through 12000. Polish with #2 Novus and wax with Renaissance wax. I do not wet sand. When wet sanding I always had issues with clouding. Not sure why as many wet sand with no issues. Never had any issues with cracking. Do not know the name of the CA I use right off hand but it is not Stick-Fast.

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Your CA is too old. I do not keep CA longer than 6 months. Here is why. Unfortunately I have about 30 pens that need to be stripped and refinished.

Stop using activator.
Attached Thumbnails
img_20171119_213027.jpg  

Last edited by terry q; 02-07-2018 at 09:36 AM.
terry q is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
I'll second Mercury Flex. I use five coats of Mercury Flex thin with Mercury activator between applications. Leaves a nice smooth finish that requires little to no sanding. From what I understand the "flex" component reduces the chance of cracking. Mercury Flex was supposedly designed specifically for use as a finish.
Michael,

I used to have some CA flex, but that was so long ago that all that was available in CA was black. I have epoxy flex (rubber) that I used for gluing tubes into brittle blanks, such snakewood.

I have seen several references to flexible CA (clear, Mercury) and will have to give it a try. Thanks for mentioning this.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 63

This is a very interesting thread.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Michael is correct. Mercury Flex was developed as a pen and other turning finish. I met with Mercury’s CEO a couple of years ago and Eric later asked if I wanted to help them with a new type of CA. After testing it myself and sending it to some others for testing, it became apparent that this was unlike anything else I had used (and I have used a lot of brands of CA). Of course, it’s also a great adhesive. Unlike some other “flex” brands, Mercury’s does not contain rubber, yet it won’t crack or “shatter”.

Another thing that makes it different is that it has a long open time and is intended to be used with accelerator or another form of activator, such as BLO. Many people make the mistake of avoiding accelerator with Mercury Flex, as they would with some other types of CA. This results in a very long (for CA) cure time.

Feel free to contact me if you need any application or technical info about it. I’m glad to help in any way I can.

Robert Kulp Creations
robertkulp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcopenturner View Post
I have been using thin CA to finish pens for some time without a problem. However recently I found 4 pens where the CA finish is cracking. I have reviewed many posts and see many methods of application but am still confused. I have been using 10 coats of thin CA with activator. As a test I now spray activator on the blank first followed by 4 coats of thin CA without activator. I let the blank dry over night and then micromesh to 12,000 grit. I then apply 3 more coats of thin CA and agin let it dry overnight before again using micromesh. Question: Are others using activator first on the blank before applying CA. Any other thoughts on getting a great finish?
Thank you all for the responses. YES, I WAS using Stick Fast but have just ordered Mercury Flex. While the problem only occured with 4 pens out of several hundred I am not taking any chances.
Marcopenturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads