ca finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

When a customer asked about the finish how do you describe it or tell them what it is. Besides saying it is a glue finish and has many coats.

I just got an email and they asked about the finish and saying it is a CA finish which is a glue that has numerous coats that makes a hard durable finish.
Just didn't sound good to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Just tell them the finish is an ultra hard highly wear resistant coating to preserve the beauty of the wood.

khansen

Tell them it is a tedious process that you are willing to do to ensure the long-term durability of the pen - or just say it's coated in Acrylic.

gandsande

can I steal your thoughts Guys? I get asked similar questions. I think I may go with.

It has been finished with a liquid acrylic. This is a tedious process that I am willing to do to ensure the long-term durability of the pen. This means to you, the finish is an ultra hard highly wear resistant coating to preserve the beauty and life of the pen. This process can be applied to Acrylic or wood and when shopping around to be aware of the type of a finish used, as a wax based polish will conversely with time change colors and absorb the oils from the hand and environment.

The CA finish is highly recommended for a pen that is used or handled daily to preserve its beauty.

Greg

Padre

The liquid acrylic is a great answer. You can also state that it has 'hundreds' of layers, since you are turning the blank as you apply it, and each 'revolution' is a layer.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use the terms of "liquid acrylic" and "cyanoacrylate or CA for short" most of the time when asked about it. Then I tell them it is a high grade form of "super glue". I don't consider that as misleading. There is a difference in what I get from Monty versus what I find in a "dollar store" in 1 & 2 oz bottles or tubes.

How you say something is as important as What you say in situations like this. It is not misleading at all to use "liquid acrylic" in describing it, and it is informative and educational. Just saying "I use super glue" is uninformative and misleading in its perception to the uneducated in this field.

"Super glue is super glue" is a misleading statement in that the quality used in the medical field for suturing is totally different. That CA used in forensics for fingerprint identification is also different from the dollar store kind. The "dollar store" kind might work but it sure is better to use the best kind for the situation.

There was a fellow about 6 years ago or so that made his first post on IAP with the statement of something like this: "Tell me that you aren't using superglue as the finish. You gotta be kidding me."
Some people . . .!!! Be prepared with answers that are educational and informative.

Last edited:

yort81

CA Glue...Yes...But I "church" it up a bit....

I tell my customers the truth.... It is a CA Polymer. I usually will apply between 5-15 very thin coats to build "depth" and "shine" as well as protect the pen for a life time.... Also...when i tell my Customers about the time and construction of their pen... I NEVER tell them that i use glue... I will use the words "Permanently Bond".

It comes down to the old adage... "it's not the steak...it's the SIZZLE"

Top Bottom