CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rich gubbin

Hi all,
just a quick one, im doing a desert ironwood/vertex click at the weekend as a surprise for my Dad. Im planning on a ca finish as i,ve done this on ironwood before and it looks great, but i glued the bushings to the pen blank. Whats the best way to prevent this???
thanks in advance
rgrds
Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

One thing you can do is apply a little paste wax to the bushings before you start with the CA. Now that the bushings are glued to the tube the best way, IMHO, is to use a razor knife or box cutter to cut between the bushing and the blank. Rotate the blank by hand to ensure that you are cutting on the seam. You can then use the mandral rod to break the rest of the bond. Hope this helps.

Justturnin

One thing many do that I just started was making some Delrin Finish Bushing. I made mine @ a cone shape so that they can slide in any tube. Wax the Derin and apply your finish. Once your done it peels right off the delrin.

ctubbs

One thing many do that I just started was making some Delrin Finish Bushing. I made mine @ a cone shape so that they can slide in any tube. Wax the Derin and apply your finish. Once your done it peels right off the delrin.

You can pick up the Delrin rod at Granger or probably McMaster-Carr. It can also be ordered off the net.
Charles

hewunch

Or you can buy pre-made delrin bushings. Several folks sell them. If you want to make your own, Enco has free shipping right now.

SDB777

Haven't used bushing since I started turning between centers...no way to glue together what your not using.

I have had mixed results putting paste wax on steel bushing, YMMV...most of the time it still would stick'em together.

Scott

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you are in a hurry and don't have delrin bushings, take an thick margarine lid and make some "washers" out of it. Place these between the blank and bushing shoulder.

I used to do that often before going to TBC.

Top Bottom