CA expiration?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Hey guys quick question... Been working on this pen for a couple days now.. Just wondering if the issue with old ca glue is drying time? Ran out of accelerator but had some thick ca that sat for hours and was still tacky. Medium taking way longer when used as a finish, and thin not much better. Can't imagine the ca is more than a couple months since purchase. Also with using the different thicknesses, almost wonder if it's the humidity or other weather related issues... Just looking for a little input. Thanks for your time!

Oh and btw it is turning white in a very random pattern once dry... Combo of trustone aluminum tin alt ivory and Macassar ebony if that helps!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoatRider

Humidity can reduce the shelf life of CA. And you're right- it starts getting sticky, and doesn't cure as fast if at all.
Unopened, or opened only in dry air, it can last a year or two.

jmbaker79

Thanks that's what I figured. I'm horrible about keeping them closed so... Off the replenish the stock. Seems to mostly be an issue on the aluminum sections but it has so many coats now I think it must be the glue as it isn't in contact with the material, just itself..

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Benton hit the nail on the head. However, I find that once it's opened, keeping it capped between use does not always help keep it from going "bad".
I never cap mine here in Houston ( humidity has been in the 70% range lately) and it doesn't seem to matter in my case, YMMV.

Top Bottom