CA Cracking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lawry76

I need some advice. I'm trying to perfect the Stick Fast finishing method. Have had some success but on some of the pens I do I notice, under a magnifying glass, the CA has cracked like a piece of ground that hasn't had any rain for months. Like the Salt Flats people race on. It seems to be the medium CA step. I have put on the thin CA, sanded, and waited 2 or 3 days to see if I notice anything. I don't, so I go to the medium CA. Sand and polish as suggested but a couple of days later I notice cracks. All over the blank. Not on the outside but under the top, plastic finish. It isn't sanding marks, it looks like ground that hasn't had any rain. Shop is a constant 70 degrees. I assumed the CA was fresh as it was included with the Stick Fast finishing Kit. It isn't the same blister/bubble you'd get with too much activator, it has to be something else. I'm stumped.

Thanks

lawry76

Yes, it is oily wood. Bocote and Kingwood. I thought I had adequately wiped with acetone but I'll bet some of the oil caused the CA to separate. It's almost like it is down on the surface of the wood. I'm going to try some other woods this weekend, take my time, and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Top Bottom