CA on bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

About every third pen I wax the mandrel and bushings! CA can get between the mandrel shaft and tube and makes it moderately difficult to remove the barrel from the mandrel. DAMHIKT!

Jacks suggestion is a good one too! I use these and they work well, can be used for any size tube. If you take this route, be sure to touch up the barrel end with a piece of sandpaper. The CA sometimes develops a ridge on the end of the blank and creates leaves a gap between the fitting and barrel.

mecompco

Chuck the blank between centers w/o bushings and finish it that way. A little acetone when you're done takes the excess CA off the centers. You'll likely have to true the ends, but I think that's a good thing as the CA seals them for sanding. Just how I like to do it.

Regards,
Michael

eharri446

For those who want to go the UHMW plastic route you can get either the UHMW or HDPE from Grainger for a reasonable fee. I recently bought a 12X12X1 1/2 inch slab of HDPE for $32.00 and was able to pick it up at a store near my house thus saving the cost of shipping.

JimB

For those who want to go the UHMW plastic route you can get either the UHMW or HDPE from Grainger for a reasonable fee. I recently bought a 12X12X1 1/2 inch slab of HDPE for $32.00 and was able to pick it up at a store near my house thus saving the cost of shipping.

Grainger also sells rods for just a few bucks.

JimB

Chuck the blank between centers w/o bushings and finish it that way. A little acetone when you're done takes the excess CA off the centers. You'll likely have to true the ends, but I think that's a good thing as the CA seals them for sanding. Just how I like to do it.

Regards,
Michael

That's exactly how I do it. I keep a little acetone in a small jar so I can put the live and dead centers, tips only, into the acetone and let it soak a bit.

Top Bottom