CA/BLO on Blackwood pen is speckling. Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

limited60

First time using CA BLO on a blackwood pen.

Applied "as per normal", but it doesn't seem to want to take "as per normal" (normal being the Fairfield technique).
The glue goes on fine, the oil goes on fine, but the curing process leaves the surface kinda pitted, kinda speckled....bumpy???!!!

When I sand away some of the excess, I get a fog that creeps into the the visible parts of the end of the wood, creeping in no more than 1/4", then retracting a bit.

Now, the only thing different is I may have put a bit much Ren. wax on the ends of the bushings (to prevent the glue from adhering to the bushing) and it may have creeped onto the pen.

I am concerned I have contaminated the pen permenantly because I have soaked the bushings in acetone (should I use paint thinner?) and sanded the ends of the blank, remounted the pen to the mandrel and had the same problem.

What to do??

BTW: how much sanding does it take to sand through 1 coat of CA BLO? I'm on the 4th coating...is there enough, do you think, to keep doing this bothced method, sand it smooth again, apply again etc, and then do MM 6000-12000 and finish with HUT and Ren wax again?
Hoping to salvage this one, as I have just started the cap, and it's for an Emperor. Not that I care if I waste the blank and a tube, I just don't want to assemble it and have time pay it's duty on it.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You need to seal the wood with at least one coat of straight thin CA. Mixing blo with CA on an oily wood is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

marcruby

I'm surprised that the CA didn't simply fall off, to be frank. It's pretty easy to take the glue off the bushings without resorting to wax. There's no way to keep the wax from spreading to the wood, and an oily wood isn't going to sop up the wax, or the blo for that matter.

Take the finish all the way down, give the wood several wipe downs with acetone to remove any residual oil or CA. Then start over with a sealing coat or two and then medium thick CA (or whatever thickness you prefer). Wait between coats so that they really set.

Clean the bushings with acetone when you're done with them.

Marc

limited60

This newbie obviously missed the seminar in pre-planning....

My blackwood pen has a 1/8" stripe of Holly and a 1/16" stripe of Bloodwood, so, I fear doing a wet sand with CA for fears of staining the holly black.

Thanks for the above responses, but, any more advice??

leehljp

Member Liaison
From your first post, I would go with what Marc said. But your second post added the holly and bloodwood, which "can" cause bleeding problems if cleaned by acetone. At least that is a problem that I experienced some time ago.

My suggestion in this case would be to very carefully turn the layers of CA off by using a very sharp skew or scraper, which ever one you are most skilled with using. This is no time for experimenting.

limited60

Got it figured out....I had a bit of blackwood running into the holly, but, after messing around for close to 4 hours on the finish of ONE PEN, I'm pretty satisfied.

Looks great on the Black Titanium Emperor. Will post some pics of my first pens soon.

GouletPens

Got it figured out....I had a bit of blackwood running into the holly, but, after messing around for close to 4 hours on the finish of ONE PEN, I'm pretty satisfied.

Looks great on the Black Titanium Emperor. Will post some pics of my first pens soon.
First pens? Dang, you might want to start with Sierras or Cigars or something for your first pens....I made 500 pens before I turned a pen for a $50 kit.....:eek:

limited60

First pens? Dang, you might want to start with Sierras or Cigars or something for your first pens....I made 500 pens before I turned a pen for a $50 kit.....:eek:

I dunno, I turned a cigar and just wasn't a big fan of the plasticy hardware, so I bought 25 Emperors, 5 Statesmen, 3 Imperial and some Junior Retro's.
I must admit, the stress of screwing one up is pretty high, but I also bought 20 extra Emperor brass tubes so if I screw up, I just lose the blank and the tube cost.
Only after I have obsessed over every detail do I actually assemble the pen....hence all the questions directed to the experienced ones on this site.

bitshird

I'm surprised that the CA didn't simply fall off, to be frank. It's pretty easy to take the glue off the bushings without resorting to wax. There's no way to keep the wax from spreading to the wood, and an oily wood isn't going to sop up the wax, or the blo for that matter.

Take the finish all the way down, give the wood several wipe downs with acetone to remove any residual oil or CA. Then start over with a sealing coat or two and then medium thick CA (or whatever thickness you prefer). Wait between coats so that they really set.

Clean the bushings with acetone when you're done with them.

Marc
Exactly what Marc said, Oily wood like Black wood, or most other Ebony's have to be wiped down with Acetone to allow the CA to adhere, I know the heart ache your feeling, Also watch out, it can blush months after you finish the pen. DAMHIKT

Top Bottom