CA and ancient bog oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

Hi all...have turned a bog oak pen and been working on the CA finish...have turned many pens and thought I had the finishing down pretty well. Imagine that, I was wrong again! Have put 12-13 coats on...thought it was ready for mming...started to get splotchy and dull after the 3600 pad. Resanded to 600 and started putting more CA coats on..now it looks good till it dries for a while. It's getting splotchy and dull even after 10 additional coats. Is bog oak difficult or am I missing something simple like I usually do? Thanks for any and all help! George:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Welcome the to world of CA!!!:)

Many times the problem is either too much sanding, or the CA didn't cover the blank evenly. Wipe the blank with DNA or Acetone. I don't use boiled linseed oil on my blanks. I apply only 3-4 coats of thin CA and then polish. On most wood pens I prefer a satin, low gloss finish, so the last step is a bit of 0000 steel wool.

woodwzrd

Where or who did you get your bog oak from? It may not be fully dry and is causing the blooming under the finish.

That was my exact same thought. I have had the same problem a couple of times on some game calls. It turned out that the blanks that were provided to me by the customer waxed and only partially dry.

Top Bottom