CA Alternative for Inlay Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brey

I'm newer to turning pens (about 30 under my belt) and want to try a stars/strips inlay kit. I don't want to use a CA finish, though, for a variety of reasons.

What are suggested alternatives? I won't be doing a ton of inlay kits, so I'm okay with one that might be a bit time consuming. What's best to provide some of the benefits of CA (shine and protection) with something like the inlay. Spray lacquer? Something else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

Id be curious about the replies you receive.
I am just getting ready to finishing up 10 right now. This will be a total of 50 that I have made. I never thought about anything but a CA finish.

raar25

Any finish will work. My first inlay pen 3 years ago was standard shellac based friction polish and it is still going strong, just not still glossy like CA would be. Just make sure the gaps between the pieces are filled with some glue before you start to turn.

BJohn

I too would be interested in responses, I have done several inlay kits. I have used CA not only for the finish but also to glue all the pieces together once assembled.

Akula

Well if you have access to a rod dryer then I have used a product called envirotex lite. You must have the slow rotating dryer so the finish don't run or build up in places. It's not the easiest or cheapest way to go but results are worth it IMO. I just happened to have everything so there was no extra costs involved.

Wipe on Poly is another option. Slow process to dry

Real Tung oil is another option. Slow process to dry

CA is almost always my go to because of time, it's fast.

brey

Thanks for the suggestions so far all!

Looking like my standard wood friction polish application (Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus) or possibly wipe-on poly.

Keep any other suggestions coming!

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Cross inlay with pens plus

Attachments

• image-311114063.jpg
    image-311114063.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 137

plantman

I have used a water based finish by the name of Hydracoat. Wipe or spray on, drys clear in 15 minutes. Often used on gym floors. Jim S

Top Bottom