ca accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCjim

Can I use any brand of ca accelerator, or do I have to match the same brand of accelerator with the CA that I am using?

Also, what brand CA and/or accelerator is recommended?

I am new at pen making and am getting ready to do my first CA finish. I purchased a CA finish from Penn State but didn't order the accelerator. I can pick up some accelerator at my local Woodcraft but I want to make sure it is compatible.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thawkins87

I think you can use any brand but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I've used both StickFast and another brand that I can't remember the name of that both seemed to work equally on the same CA glue.

JimB

There will be folks who have a personal preference for CA and accelerator and even some who can give a very detailed explanation as to 'Why'. I have used a few different brands and really don't see the difference. I'm currently using EZ Bond CA that I think I bought from a member and Stickfast accelerator purchased from Woodcraft. I should point out i don't use the accelerator when doing a CA finish on pens.

monophoto

I'm not a big fan of CA finish on pens (or anything else), so my answer might be biased.

My understanding is that any accelerator can be used with any CA.

However, I recall hearing from various 'experts' that while accelerator is fine if you are using CA for its original purpose (ie, as an adhesive), it's not always wise to use it if you are attempting to do a CA finish. The problem is that accelerator causes the CA to cure instantly at its surface, but it doesn't always cure all the way through. As a result, it can cause the finish to become splotchy. Instead, the 'experts' that I have heard have always recommended allowing a CA finish to cure naturally, even if that does mean waiting.

Which points to another thing that I've had to learn about woodturning in general - quality of workmanship is far more important than speed. The more I try to do things quickly, the more likely it is that I will screw up. Conversely, my experience is that if you take your time and work carefully, you generally will have far fewer problems.

Or, as someone said on a TV show that I saw this past weekend - retirement is the art of doing as little as possible, slowly.

keithncsu

I've never had matching CA/accelerator. Last go-round I had EX Bond THIN, CSUSA MED, and ZAP accelerator. This time around I have EZ Bond THIN and MED with the ZAP accelerator. Never had an issue that I could point directly at differing brands.

That being said, I've noticed that EX Bond has a lower viscosity across the board than other CAs I've used. Still getting used to that...and not so sure I like it.

KenV

There are several different chemical formulations of CA glue. The acellerators are optimized for the formulation used by that brand.

I generally avoid using accelerators, and make sure I match accelerators to the formulation when I do use them.

Top Bottom