CA accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
As unusual as it sounds, acetone is a debonder and is the main chemical in accelerant for CA glues. For verification, check the Material Safety Data Sheet for your manufacturer.

Gary

Acetone is the main component in some CA accelerators. Other accelerators contain no acetone and use other chemicals, isopropyl alcohol and n-heptane to name a couple. The formulation of the accelerator is dictated by the viscosity of the CA for which it is intended, the materials to be bonded, the speed of cure that is desired, and the aesthetic requirements.

Gary

Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />So the weirdest thing in all this is why CA accelerator has the least descriptive content labelling of anything I've seen in a while. hmmmm.

Chuck, in certain commercial applications the accelerator formulation is critical, for example when bonding certain thermosetting laminates to unlike substrates. In the home workshop (as in pen making), it is pretty much a useless product. All it really does is "fix" the CA by increasing the surface tension. What that means is the CA is then less likely to move or continue to flow, and below the surface it cures at it's own pace. To do that they can use many different chemicals in spray form, and it varies from one manufacturer to another. It's a great example of good marketing at work. I use CA all the time (as an adhesive - not a finish), but I don't have a can of accelerator anywhere in the shop.

write-n-style

Originally posted by Gary
<br />
Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />So the weirdest thing in all this is why CA accelerator has the least descriptive content labelling of anything I've seen in a while. hmmmm.

Chuck, in certain commercial applications the accelerator formulation is critical, for example when bonding certain thermosetting laminates to unlike substrates. In the home workshop (as in pen making), it is pretty much a useless product. All it really does is "fix" the CA by increasing the surface tension. What that means is the CA is then less likely to move or continue to flow, and below the surface it cures at it's own pace. To do that they can use many different chemicals in spray form, and it varies from one manufacturer to another. It's a great example of good marketing at work. I use CA all the time (as an adhesive - not a finish), but I don't have a can of accelerator anywhere in the shop.
I have, use, and rely on accelerant when making pens.After inserting the scuffed tubes I spray with accelerant on the end that has the insertion tool still in the blank.
I can then immediately mill the ends and turn the pen.
I have for an experiment put a puddle of accelerant on a piece of wax paper and left the shop for the night.
When I returned the next morning the CA was still a liquid.
I very rarely use accelerant while finishing but I rely on it for gluing( and repairing) blanks.
While making segmented, laminated and intricate glued up blanks CA with accelerant speeds up the process.
To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom