Buffing wheels are awesome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

I recently started using the Beall buffing system. I wanted to get it a long time ago but kept putting it off. If you are thinking about buying buffing wheels, DO IT.

It saves so much time and I don't wet sand anymore. I don't know how much money I spent on MicroMesh, but it was a lot. I had problems with certain grits wearing out quickly, plus the darn water everywhere.

I simply light sand with 400, 600 and 800 grit mesh sandpaper then hit it with the wheels. I haven't mastered the wax though and don't use it. Seems to make things look worse, so I know I'm doing it wrong!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Agreed. I've been using the Beall wheels for quite a while and am a big fan. I couldn't get rid of the wet sanding, though. I sand to 2000, then I do a quick Novus 3 and 2 and THEN the buffing wheels. Awesome.
Also agree about wax. But I do use it when I'm finishing up a bowl and want more than a satin finish. Does a great job.

Last edited:

mecompco

I've been using PSI's knock-off of the Beal for a while (didn't know it was a knock-off when I bought it). I, too, continue to wet sand through all the grits, then buff with Tripoli and White Diamond. I save the wax wheel for more natural finishes (I especially like it over a Tru-Oil finish on walnut bolt-actions). I keep it set up on my HF lathe, which is convenient. I turn on the Delta, and drill, true, sand, and assemble on the metal lathe.

Imaginethat

I agree with all of you. I started using the Beal wheels a couple months ago. I was skeptical at first but the results are remarkably better. I still like to wet sand through 2000 then buff with Tripoli and white diamond. The wax buffer seems to dull the finish somewhat so I reserve the extra wheel for wood buffing. My Grizzly lathe is permately set up with the buffing wheels with my Ryobi used for turning.

stuckinohio

I too am lazy and quickly bought a mini lathe for just buffing also!

I really haven't used alumilite yet, and I've had problems with not much shine from it. Maybe when I turn a pen with that I'll try without then wet sand and buff if needed.

Also haven't done wood yet, with the exception of wood with CA finish, so the wax might come in handy there.

Thanks for the tips.

stuckinohio

Oh, and for those of you who are still wet sanding, Have you tried my method of going to 800 then buff? I think you'll be surprised.

JimB

Oh, and for those of you who are still wet sanding, Have you tried my method of going to 800 then buff? I think you'll be surprised.

That could be why the wax is dulling the finish. Only going to 800 grit may be leaving micro scratches that the buffing wheels don't remove. Then the wax builds in those micro scratches leaving a duller finish.

Top Bottom