Buffing system purchase follow up...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I wanted to let you guys know my experience and what I finally ended up doing with a buffing system.

I purchased 4 Canton Flannel buffs and Plastic Glo (Ultra Fine) and Plastic (Extra Fine). As has been said before the Plastic (Extra fine) is a finer grit than that Plastic Glo. I purchased all this from Caswell and it was not a good purchasing experience. In the first shipment I got the 3 buffs the Plastic GLo and a string buff (which I did not order). The packaging was poor and the bar of Plastic Glo was broken. I had to call back and get the other bar shippped in a second shipment.

I am no expert but the wheels are really nice. They were thinner than I expected so I did double them up. The bars of compound are HUGE. I don't think I could use that much compound in 1,000 pens. :) The plastic glo is really white and to me more resembles the feel of a white rouge but I am sure it is a higher quality. The plastic extra fine is off white and extremely dry like a chalk almost.

So the results are great. I sanded to 600 then Micromeshed and Novus and took it to the buffer. Typically with acrylics I can still see some lines after Novus. I buffed it on the first wheel and it looked like it removed most of the scratches but I thought the finish looked slightly duller than the Novus application gave it. Then I took it to the second wheel and was concerned at first because it left a dust on the pen. After wiping the pen with a soft cloth I looked under a bright light. It is the best and most brilliant finish I have experienced yet. There were a couple spots that I could see where I had a small scratch because I was probably not careful with sanding. That would not have showed up with my other finish though and now I can correct it. I am extremely pleased with it and will use it for all acrylics and CA finished pens in the future.

In the process of making this buffing system I turned a wood MT with a stub on the end and threaded it for the 1/2" rod I used. It works fine for now but I am going to buy a dedicated buffer and probably buy the one from Harbor Freight since it is so cheap. I am on the lookout on Craigslist though.

Thanks for all who gave advice. I appreciate it! (I will try to post pictures of the finish soon.)

Top Bottom