Buffing, maybe Iím doing it wrong... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Buffing, maybe Iím doing it wrong...

TonyL got me thinking about getting the smoothest, scratch free shine. Shown is a shave brush just turned and buffed today. The material is acrylic acetate. It was turned and sanded to 600 grit on the lathe. When I look at the second closeup taken with a Nikon 60mm macro I cannot detect scratches especially radial scratches, but no lateral ones either. Yes, thatís what we all want.

What do I do differently (perhaps wrongly) is to start Tripoli buffing with the piece 90 degrees from the wheels. I stay working here until the piece shine and I cannot see scratches. When satisfied I turn the piece parallel to the wheels and continue. Care is taken to allow the piece, especially pen blanks to cool off at times to avoid melting it. Donít ask why I know that. Lesson learned. When that view is very shiny and I cannot see and scratches with lots of light I move to white diamond. If any scare seen I start over. I finish with plastic polish.

Comments, suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
6d522348-c41d-4b01-86a3-40be4bf19114.jpg   dfa973d3-314d-45cd-a7d6-eb9772e7c4b4.jpg  
mmayo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Almost the same except after the first round at ninety degrees to the axis of the pen I do forty five degrees for a bit then forty five degrees from the other way, top to the left and then top to the right in other words. Then along the length. Clean off any compound before moving up a grit including the ends, so you don’t contaminate the finer buffing wheel.

All three of the Beall wheels. Same with CA and various plastics.

Last edited by Curly; 01-13-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Whatever you are doing, it's working!

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Almost the same except after the first round at ninety degrees to the axis of the pen I do forty five degrees for a bit then forty five degrees from the other way, top to the left and then top to the right in other words. Then along the length. Clean off any compound before moving up a grit including the ends, so you donít contaminate the finer buffing wheel.

All three of the Beall wheels. Same with CA and various plastics.

You are probably right and I may do more 45 degrees than 90, mostly because there is not a lot of room on the Beale buff. I will wipe between wheels, nice idea. I always wiped th blank between micro mesh pads so it makes sense.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 4

It sounds as if you are spending a lot of time on the buffer.
I think you could potentially reduce your buffing time, by using the correct strokes. There is a cut stroke, and a color stroke.
Also, if you are getting heat build-up, it could be from holding the material against the wheel for too long, and/or using too much pressure against the wheel.
The material should only touch the face of the wheels with a light touch; it's the compound that does the work and not the wheel itself.
The material should only touch the wheels for the duration of the stroke.
The combination of the two above practices, will defeat heat build-up, and using these along with the correct strokes, the shine you've accomplished should take no more than one to two minutes. Maybe less on AA, as it polishes very easily. JMO
Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don’t get me wrong- the melted blank was one out of very many when my mind was elsewhere and I was rushing. It will not be repeated.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads