Buffing follow up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

Hey fellas, I just wanted to follow up from the "buff or not to buff thread" from last weekend. I now have the PSI 3 step buffing system and holy majoly, the difference is really worth getting the system. I was mm wet to 12000 grit, then polishing and everything looked good, but with buffing with Tripoli and white diamond, they look amazing. Now I sand the finish to 1500 dry and then buff away. I use the same treatment for both CA finishes and acrylic. Thanks for all of you that replied to the original post. The juice really was worth the squeeze.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

I'm sure it will be. Be prepared to be happy when you try it out. I never have to wet sand again and I'm so ok with that. Let me know how you like it. I made a buffing stick like Ed (exotic blanks) has in his videos, works amazingly well. I highly recommend!

Dave

Whaler

I use the Beale system which works the same but I only sand to 600 and then buff. Give it a try and save some time.

I'm interested in the best buffing setup for acrylic, polyresin, alumalite and ca finish.

What are the best compounds/wheels to get if I want to buff straight off 12000 MM?

I was looking at the string buff + plastic glo compound from caswell: Caswell Inc. - String Buffs

But it only comes with one wheel and a single compound. They have a second plastic kit that comes with completely different stuff and I'm not entirely sure which is better
Caswell Inc. - CD and Plastics Buffing Kit

Do you really need a coarse buffing compound first if you are using 12000 MM first?

weasel1219

My preferred system

I use the HF system (Harbor Freight) and a drill. And only $2.99
I am very pleased with the finish.. Also use the CA and Hutt's Plastic Finish.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-23 at 9.11.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-23 at 9.11.26 PM.png
    26 KB · Views: 113

ghostrider

I've used my own stuff with buffs bought at Harbor Freight, and Menard's, and the Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnuba wax bought at Woodcraft. I also have and now do use a Beal system. Since they both use the same steps, the only difference is in the individual buffs. They both had similar enough results, and worked great.

I haven't used the 2-compound setups, or the Caswell stuff.

Top Bottom