Buffing antler pen only

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tazhunter0

I was wondering if anybody just polished their antler pens. How do they hold up with everyday use. I normally do CA finish on mine but recently talked with a gentleman set up at a show that only polishes his. I just took a short piece of antler and put it on the buffing wheel. I like the way it looks but I'm worried about how it will hold up over time. Has anybody else tried just polishing the antler?

Thanks
Chris

By the way 90-95% of my sales are antler pens, bottle stoppers, and antler crosses.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I do both. I put on a coat of CA then I micro mesh and polish with hut plastic polish. I don't carry one so I can't say how they hold up but I've never had any complaints from those that have my pens. I seal the antler with CA just to make sure all the pores are filled and when finished polishing it looks nice.

tazhunter0

I usually do several coats of CA and then micro mesh. This person I was talking to did not use CA at all. He sanded very little and then polished. I like the finish on his stuff but wondered about it holding up. I like the idea of not using CA , but want my stuff to hold up to everyday use.

Skie_M

If it's not sealed with CA, it will have the ability to absorb water and oils and stain over time.

If you want your antler to be able to "age" normally over time, then don't seal with CA ... just keep in mind that random household objects can stain the bone, as well as sweat from your hands.

KenV

Depends on the antler -- larger sections put the pen into the core of the antler where it is "spongy" with holes in the matrix. I fill that with either a thin epoxy or CA.

Smaller sizes allow solid bone and choices.

I like to have a bit of the original surface - often called "bark" on the exterior of the pen and avoid CA on that surface.

Weathered antler goes through cactus juice and is generally CA treated as a finish.

Top Bottom