Bondic ??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

Has anyone ever used the product, Bondic. It is advertised as a plastic adhesive that never dries out or gets hard. It sets in four seconds when exposed to UV light. They sell it on Amazon. It gets pretty good reviews generally.:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Yes, it's great stuff ... bonds to plastics wonderfully, and will "glue" wood, metal, even glass... it will cure in seconds only when exposed to the UV light, and will even cure underwater. It's waterproof, sandable and millable when cured, and has great strength for many applications.

The problem I'ld have with it is that though it goes on clear and then dries pretty much clear, it will slowly yellow over time. That and if you were thinking about using it as a casting medium .... you get like 2 oz for 20 bucks. o_O

It's possible, I think, to use something like this as a top-coat or finish coat on your wood or acrylic products, but a lot of it would soak into your applicator pad, leaving a VERY thin coat on the item you were coating. I'm sure that if you got enough coats on there, it would protect the item fairly well, but we're now talking about using 1/4 of a Bondic refill to do a single pen .... that's 5 bucks, man!

Last, but not least, as I mentioned already, it will slowly yellow over time. This is actually an interesting effect for causing an ageing/distressed look to your piece. Say you're doing a piece in alternative horn, and you want it to look like it's aged a bit ... a few coats of bondic and then leave it in a windowsill for a few days and it'll start to yellow a bit .... as the customer uses it it keeps yellowing around the item. (The yellowing won't be a super-pronounced effect, but they should be able to see it in bright light.)

penmaker56

I use Bondic to repair large chips of plastic on commercially made pens that come across my repair bench. Once you color Bondic, it can only be applied in very thin layers, as the UV light doesn't penetrate the pigmented material all that well. Also, I found that it doesn't polish as well, and the patch can be seen as a different material, a thin coating of CA on top of the patch, will make the polish match.

Skie_M

Thanks guys. I was thinking about it as a substitute for ca in finishing, but not if it yellows.

Not only will it yellow (even Bondic states that it will yellow over time), it's FAR more expensive than CA by any measure.

I bought the applicator + a refill (24.95 + 12.95) and I've been very happy with how it works for me, but 13 dollars for a (i think) 1 oz refill compared to .7 oz of harbor freight superglue at 3 dollars? Way too expensive as a replacement.

Top Bottom