Bog Oak Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I'm looking for help in finishing bog oak. I can encase it heavy layers of CA and get it slick and shiny, but I was hoping to leave it with a little more character. What's the magic formula?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

I use CA, but not as thick so it doesn't fill all the pores. a couple coats of thin will seal all of the pores, then 2 coats of thick. no sanding in between. gets nice and shiny, but still shows grain in the wood

Rudy Vey

Bog Oak is one of the few woods I do not encase in CA - I use Unaxol (or Enduro if you like) for these pen - keeps the grain structure and it has a natural feel. Just today I got a call from a customer and we talked a bit about the pens she bought from me, and she told me that she likes this kind of finish the best on her IBO. Others may differ, but I am staying with this kind of finish for Bog Oak.

Russianwolf

I use spray deft lacquer. a couple/three coats with drying time between. light handling can occur in a couple hours, but I don't put it in a case for at least a week.

pipecrafter

Like Mike, I finish IBO pens/pencils with spray lacquer - 2 or 3 coats. At that point it's still thin and allows the character of the wood to come to the surface. It isn't totally smooth and shiny, and the pores and grain still show off, but I feel that's best for this type of wood.

Other stuff, like pipes, just get a polish and buff with carnuba wax.

Top Bottom