black are around top of pen after ca finsh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi guys i am been getting the hang of doing a ca finsh but oh certain woods like maple i have been getting a black ring at the top of the pen where the clip goes what am i doing wrong do i need to seal the top and bottom of each piece before i start. will try to get a pic of the problem posted if i can get my camera to work right so the problem can be seen.
thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

A lot of people, myself included, use Johnsons paste wax on the bushings where the wood meets...will wipe off easily after the finish is done..Geo

ghostrider

I'm by no means an expert, but that almost sounds like there is something getting in the ca when you apply it. I know that the metal shavings from the bushings can get into the wood, but I've never seen this mentioned before.

Are you cleaning with denatured alcohol before applying CA?

If not, then you might try that. If so, then I don't know.

PTsideshow

Short answer is it could be the acidic components in the wood and it's remaining moisture can react with the steels used in the bushings. Most bushings appear to be made out of any alloy they can get cheap. As I have some that have rusted in a sealed plastic bag(heated sealed) when packaged.
The oxidation forms very quickly and with wood it does appear as black coloring. Which is a form of ferrous oxide.
The only thing with the wax, is if you take the blank out and then reinstall it. You may want to apply another coat of paste wax on the bushings. As it will wear off quickly in use.
:clown:

Seer

Another thing to look at is when you sand towards the end always sand towards the bushing this keeps any particles from getting on the wood. And when cleaning the dust wipe towards the bushings will help also.

wouldentu2?

If you use something like BLO to highlight the grain it will get absorbed in the end and appear darker right at the end.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
What wood are you dealing with? I have had a few times where the end grain absorbed the CA and wicked into the surface as a dark ring. It's almost as if the wood soaked up water or oil. Are you getting this effect with more than one particular wood species?
WB

leehljp

Member Liaison
Several have mentioned possibilities. Bushings and bushing dust is what I suspect.

Another or two:

Are you staring with a square blank? If so do it sometimes catch a little, maybe for a split second - once or twice - before you get it rounded? These friction catches are and fine metal powder from that friction can work it way to the end on lighter colored woods.

Are you taking the turned blanks off of the mandrel to inspect them before finishing them? If so, then this is where the migration from the ends to the outer edges of the end takes place. Hands holding the end will move the dust to the outer edges like it was grease.

Are you using any kind of liquid - DNA or accelerator? DNA will bring the dust up if you are not careful. It may not be noticeable at first but it happens. Accelerator, when there is not enough CA on the ends, will do the same as water or DNA.

I use turning between centers and occasionally get brass dust on the ends. I am careful to clean the ends BEFORE finishing. Usually, I will give a light sanding to the ends which will smooth the ends even more and also remove any sanding dust layer that builds up on the end.

Top Bottom