The Best Pen Finish I've used yet - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
There is another guy on this site that uses this method. Here are a few of his.

Whats up with the pitting?

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMeredith View Post
Full disclosure: The walnut oil/wax/shellac finish I make puts a polymerizing oil into the wood, a smooth shellac surface over it and, because it is a friction polish, a melted carnauba wax top coat floated over the surface. Multiple coats can be applied. An additional carnauba wax coat can be applied if desired.
Thanks, Mike, for the extra input. I've watched a few of your videos and have have been a subscriber to your Youtube channel. For the use of pens I'm assuming that the WOWS formula refered to here is the one with the microcrystalline wax verse the carnauba. Would the Mylands HFP work with this?
Mike GW is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike GW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilki View Post
Mike
Welcome to the club.

Would you mind explaining how your products differ from those from Shellawax? It sounds like there are many similarities, such as using a shellac base and applying friction polish and wax.

Tks
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not quite sure how they would differ. That was kind of my point when I confessed my newbe ignorance in this area. The books I've been reading and videos I've been watching give a lot of praise for the CA method. There was one author that stated that he would have never considered using an adhesive to finish a pen, but is now a big fan of the method. That is why I'm giving it a try. My first three pens I used a sealer and Maylands high build friction polish which was very easy to use. Because I want a gloss finish that would hold up under a lot of handling I decided to try the CA method. It seems to have a greater learning curve, hence the frustration. One time I had to sand the blank back down to bare wood and start the process over. Practice does increase the skill, and I'm also experimenting with the differing methods of application.

There seems to be so many different views and methods to the finishing process that trying to decide which is best can be overwhelming. I noticed on the Wood Doctors site that he uses a synthetic wax in the Pen's Plus formula rather than the natural Carnauba in the Walnut Oil/Carnauba and shellac.

Like others have said, try many and find one we like
Oops! I clued in and think you're talking to the other Mike . I'm new too, but definitely not an expert
Mike GW is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #34 (permalink)

Looking at the dates on this thread tells me in 2 or 3 years we will still be enjoying discussing finishes. This thread is like that movie where two people are putting letters in a mailbox and having a conversation years apart. It would be nice if someone had macro pictures like those edstreet enjoys of pens that have these finishes and have been well used since 2011 and can see a then and now look.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

Photos: 72

What's with the pitting. Ed that is called grain. My customers at least mostly like to feel the wood. By the way those pens are mine and all of them have been sold! I finish my pens exclusively with Doctors and it is a great product. I highly recommend it.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Last edited by mikespenturningz; 02-26-2014 at 11:02 PM.
mikespenturningz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #36 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike GW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
What method? We've mentioned a few here. These are stunning pens! I really like the inlay. Is that metal?
Not inlay ... segmented. Nicceeeee!
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #37 (permalink)

Photos: 72

Those are segmented pens I have a thread in the segmenting forum about how I do it. The metal is aluminum I have them all over the world now. Take a look and give it a try. I also have a thread in finishing about how I use Doctors. I have changed my methods a little since I wrote it but it will get you started.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Last edited by mikespenturningz; 02-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
mikespenturningz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #38 (permalink)

What do most woodturners use to pre polish wood pen blanks to beautifui there work
before final ca glueing !
Billy G Pittsfield,Pa. Tried car compounds and white Diamond and Lens polish.
billyhg@verizon.net
Billy G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #39 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy G View Post
What do most woodturners use to pre polish wood pen blanks to beautifui there work
before final ca glueing !
Billy G Pittsfield,Pa. Tried car compounds and white Diamond and Lens polish.
billyhg@verizon.net
Hello Bill and welcome to the site. May I make a suggestion and that is instead of jumping into a thread that is 2 years old and half the people do not even come here any more, you would be better starting your own thread in the finishing forum. to answer your question in one word. Sandpaper or skew. No finish is needed if you are top coating with CA. Unless you are looking to stain a wood for color you do not want any substrate to hinder the CA from sticking to the blank. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 AM   #40 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I do not use anything to polish prior to applying CA or any other coating. I do sand the wood or mixed materials (wood and resin combined) to 2000 grit (all dry) at 600 to 800 rpms prior to the application of any coating. I guess sanding can be an aggressive form of polishing, but no liquid or solid compounds are used prior. You asked what most do, unfortunately I do not know. If you discover something, please let me know. Thanks!

Much success with your process.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads