Beall Buffing System Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I just picked up a Beall Buffing system. I have a bunch of "reject" pens that I made when I was learning the CA finish. Most of them have a pretty crappy finish on them. Will using the Beall system repair the finish within reason? Also, since the pens are already put together, how can I handle them when using the buffing system so they don't get thrown?

Edit to add: also, what is the best lathe speed to use with the buffing system?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

First, rec. speed by beall is 1750. I still urn mine higher at times but can build up heat and take the finish off.

Second, a buffed crappy finish will get you a shinny crappy finish.

GouletPens

Depends what's wrong with the finish. Like my dad says, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**.

That said, the Beall is an awesome system, and an indispensable tool for me now. I use it for everything. I forget what speed I even use, but it's pretty slow....that long mandrel just gets too shaky for my liking when I crank it up fast....:eek:

jkeithrussell

you would probably ruin the finish of the pen parts as well. why not disassemble the pens, then sand and reapply the finish, and then practice your buffing tech.

These pens aren't worth that much effort. I was just hoping to improve the finish enough to make them decent as giveaways. Most of them have a spotty CA finish, or circular scratches, or both, and in some cases not much of a finish at all. I haven't been turning very long and most of these were made in my first month or two. I just got in a hurry and rushed the process.

GouletPens

I'm a packrat and have a hard time throwing things away. I have every reject pen I've ever made. Maybe they'll be collector's items someday!!

Fred

Not only will buffing them just improve the 'bad' finish the process can - and will - remove any type of finish applied to the metal components.

Disassemble them, reapply the finish of choice, reassemble and then finish. Otherwise keep them for your own personal use and work more carefully in the future.

jkeithrussell

I went ahead and ran the pens through the buffing system. For the most part, the finishes look a lot better. I know that it will probably wear off, but it's an improvement over how they looked before. On the TN and rhodium plated kits, there was no harm to the plating. On the regular gold plating, a lot of the gold wore off (turns silver).

The buffing system is pretty cool. I bought the 3-on-the-lathe package, but it doesn't fit on my lathe.

The mandrel is too long. I make a lot of rookie mistakes. Does everyone else use a different mandrel, or just use the system without the tail stock attached? Or is the length of the mandrel adjustable and I just haven't figured it out yet?

Last edited:

wickford

I use my beall system with the #2 morse taper attachment. You have to change wheels, but it gives me more flexibility to use the system for all different types of turnings and I don't have to fight with the small space between wheels as on the mandrel...Never used the mandrel, but I think it might be really efficient for doing pens.

Top Bottom