Beads, curves, and CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

So, I don't do a whole lot of pens that have any wild designs or beads on them. Partly because they haven't sold very well, partly because I have no idea how a pen with a bead would finish with CA. OR- is it pretty much mandatory to finish with an alternative method when doing these types of pens? I don't have a buffing system, I only sand on the lathe currently.

Thanks!

Sylvanite

I've done several pens with multiple small beads and a CA finish. You can't lay on a thick coat because it will tend to fill in the details, but you can put down multiple thin coats. Use the crease of a folded paper towel to apply it in the tight spots.

I hope that helps,
Eric

bradh

I still use CA/BLO on beads and coves. The shapes do make it much more difficult, but it can work.
I prefer the BLO method since the BLO smoothing helps get the finish more even. Make sure to get the paper towel down into the valleys to stop the CA from building up in thick layers down there.
Also, be careful on sanding. It is easy to sand through the finish in the high areas of the shape. I prefer to use the foam backed MM pads to sand with, they distort into the shape of what you are sanding. I make sure to get the edge of the MM pad down into the valleys from both sides to even out the sanding.

Attachments

• 221-223-rs.jpg
    221-223-rs.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 129

BigguyZ

I still use CA/BLO on beads and coves. The shapes do make it much more difficult, but it can work.
I prefer the BLO method since the BLO smoothing helps get the finish more even. Make sure to get the paper towel down into the valleys to stop the CA from building up in thick layers down there.
Also, be careful on sanding. It is easy to sand through the finish in the high areas of the shape. I prefer to use the foam backed MM pads to sand with, they distort into the shape of what you are sanding. I make sure to get the edge of the MM pad down into the valleys from both sides to even out the sanding.

Nice! OK, I'll have to give it a shot. I haven't really tried this, given my concerns. Just HUT wax when I first started out.

Though it does mean I'll have to change my technique- I don't use paper towels. Or any towel, for that matter.

Thanks!

Top Bottom