Basic Beginner Finish Products

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sunami

I am making a road trip to WoodCraft tomorrow!!! WooHoo!! After several returns and several dollar bills later, I have everything I need to turn pens EXCEPT finishes...What would you recommend to start with to finish the pens with after I am done turning them? Brand Names, Types, Etc? Also, I purchased the following pack for sandpaper - anything else?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

I am making a road trip to WoodCraft tomorrow!!! WooHoo!! After several returns and several dollar bills later, I have everything I need to turn pens EXCEPT finishes...What would you recommend to start with to finish the pens with after I am done turning them? Brand Names, Types, Etc? Also, I purchased the following pack for sandpaper - anything else?

Thanks!

Either of these will give you an easy to apply, hard, durable finish using the Dipping method.

Les

Attachments

• MINWAX.jpg
    MINWAX.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 199
  • s457192183143750612_p9_i1_w1000.jpg
    s457192183143750612_p9_i1_w1000.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 151

iMattDaddy

I'm curious to hear what everyone recommends. I am still new to this, but I have been using CA glue for the majority of my finishes which gets pretty tricky, and is tough to get just right.
The sandpaper you got will work well for initial sanding I think, but the next level is the micro mesh sanding pads. I think they're about $20 for the pack I got and go from 1500 grit to 12,000.

Charlie_W

Sue,
You asked for basic beginners finishes. These are primarily a friction polish made of shellac and waxes. These are quick and easy to learn. Not durable long term but a good beginning finish.
Woodcraft will have one or two brands of these on the shelf. Just ask them for assistance.
Some use a sanding sealer first and then the finish.

The other usual finishes are polyurethane, lacquer, and CA (super glue)
There are many processes of application of all these.
Also, a buffed and waxed finish is used sometimes for a more natural feel.
Just ask 10 penturners and see how many different answers you get.

See if you can visit a local penturner or see if BAT has some Penturners.

Good Luck!

Wildman

Took a look at what they sell at Woodcraft site and recommend:

(easy friction finishes)
General Wood Turners Finish $11.99
Hut Crystal Coat $16.99
Doctor's Pens Plus $21.50

For acrylic pens

Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish $10.99

Still have a few pens finished with Huts Crystal Coat and still look good after 13 years. For the money would try General's Wood Turners Finish today.

JMHO, if want a film finish buy your poly or lacquer locally prices look a little high at Woodcraft.

This article is little dated but very nice primer on selecting a finish for your pens or other turnings.

http://azwoodturners.org/pages/tips/comer-finishing-2nd-edition.pdf

Good luck with it!

Sunami

I wound up buying this kit so I can sample and see what I like and we can go from there!

Wildman that is a great article - thanks for that!

Sue

Top Bottom