Back Painting / Tube Painting , Opinions/Paints - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Back Painting / Tube Painting , Opinions/Paints

Hi all , I'm fairly new to pen making & turning . Hopefully I posted in the proper forum . I am actively researching this now but thought I would also ask your opinions here . What is a good paint for back painting AA blanks and such , tubes also . Do you try to color match as close as possible , say a translucent blue with white ribbons , what colors would you back paint with ? What paints would you use ?
Thanks for looking .
Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I use inexpensive acrylic paint that you can buy at any store with a craft / paint section.

As for the color, it depends on what you want. I use a similar color as the blank, or black/white if I don't have something close. Remember that the color you use on the back painting can affect the acrylic color.

Also let the paint CURE before trying to glue up. If not the glue can smear the paint and make the tube show through once turned down, or the blank won't stick to the tube (DAMHIK). I usually let mine sit overnight before gluing the tubes.
mike4066 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Here is an example of the same blank reverse painted two different colors, one is white, the other is black.

(not my pens, they were part of a demo at the MPG in Ohio this year)
Attached Thumbnails
20160408_162141.jpg  
mike4066 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Paint the inside of the tube (not the blank) with spray paint in a rattle can. WEAR GLOVES!!!!

I paint ALL ACRYLIC blanks!!! On very transparent blanks, you can sometimes see the glue. It isn't pretty. Hold the drilled blank up to a light. If you can see light coming thru the side of the blank, paint the blank. See first line in paragraph.

White will make the colors lighter and more vibrant. Black or gray will mute the colors.
On a white blank, the blank will take up the color of the spray paint. (hint, hint).

These two pens were made for a baby shower. The mother to be was having twins. One boy, one girl. The blanks are the same. The inside of one sprayed with hot pink, the other with baby blue.

View in gallery

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet

Last edited by randyrls; 09-07-2016 at 11:06 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

It depends on what look you are going for. I usually will paint the inside of the hole drilled in the blank with flat black spray paint but it will darken the entire blank up tremendously. If I want to color match I use Testor's model paints or cheap nail polish (don't tell my wife I use her nail polish!!) and once again paint the inside of the hole in the blanks.
The reason I prefer to paint the inside of the blank is painting the tube can still show through imperfections and glue bubbles if you do not have a perfect fit between the tube and hole in the blanks.
lhowell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can also take a dowel rod and paint several different colors in bands on it. You can then slide it through your blank and see the different affect of particular colors.

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks a lot folks ! Looking through youtube and google searches provided some good insight , but the answers and pictures here provided more . Its nice to have access to that base of knowledge
Old 09-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

The yellow pens above were part of my demo in Ohio. I use Testors paint to paint the hole with a q-tip. For 7 mm you will also want to over-drill. I use a 9/16" bit to give me the clearance for the paint. Never had an issue with the 10 mm and bigger. I know a lot of people suggest painting the tube and it works, but what you are trying to accomplish is bouncing the light back to the blank. Painting the hole the light will reflect through the blank and then back. Painting the tube the light now must pass through glue also. Both work. You can choose my experimenting. Just my opinion.
mg_dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

As you can see for the demo pens above you can also take advantage of the fitting to fool the eye on the color. The darker pen has black fittings to enhance the dark tones, the light used silver. Adjacent colors impact the perceived colors.
mg_dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

I also use spray paint in the shake/rattle cans - generally Krylon acrylic paint. I spray the inside of the blank 1-2 sec from each side and I also paint the tube (probably not needed, but I do it anyway). Usually I paint the tube & blank the same color, but sometimes I do use different colors (I can't give a specific reason why - sometimes it just strikes me that they should be different or maybe I just want to experiment.)

The paint must be allowed to cure fully. I generally give it at least 2-3 days, sometimes more. Depending on build-up, it may be necessary to run the drill bit through the blank again before glue-up. I do this by hand to avoid heating the paint with power drilling.

As you have seen, there are lots of ways to approach this. Try several & see which you like best. You might even wind up with your own variation.
Logged on members can hide ads