Avoiding paper towels - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Avoiding paper towels

I admit, I've been using small pieces of paper towels to apply CA and finish. I've read here that nitrile gloves, finger cots, or small piece of plastic bag are much more effective. Please elaborate.
mkemmet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Well I know that the nitrile gloves, finger cots, etc... are to keep the CA from sticking to your fingers as the CA soaks thru the blue paper towels.
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I don't wear any kind of gloves around turning machinery.
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Craft foam available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Walmart etc... is by far the best method to apply CA. Its cheap, does not absorb the CA and leaves a near perfect surface. Give it a try you will love it.
wouldentu2? is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I have found all to have +'s and -'s . Any safe way to apply smooth coats of CA has a good change of a excellent finish with little sanding. I am now using the PT that is typically found in motorized bathroom dispensers. I even bought the dispenser. The "best" was what works best for you. If one is able to control the volume of CA - the craft foam and little pen part bags are likely to waste the least amount of CA because it is not absorbed into the towels.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Paper towels have a pretty high water content, this water initiates CA polymerization. So a paper towel will both soak up a lot of CA and cause it to react faster. Nitrile, finger cots, wax paper, craft foam do neither. I switched to craft foam after about 150 pens, one of the better changes I've made. I have tried plastic baggies and wax paper, but I didn't like the lack of control I had with these methods.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkemmet View Post
I admit, I've been using small pieces of paper towels to apply CA and finish. I've read here that nitrile gloves, finger cots, or small piece of plastic bag are much more effective. Please elaborate.
Get a feel for it and the CA will go on smoothly and neatly. White paper towels work fine. Never wear gloves, jewelry while using the lathe or any thing that turns. I do not use or like THIN CA. Medium for me. Welcome aboard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I don't wear any kind of gloves around turning machinery.
Ditto ditto ditto.

If anyone is uncomfortable using CA try Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It has to dry between coats but it hits the spot. Beauty durable finish.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool professional pool cue repair lathe

Last edited by WriteON; 12-18-2018 at 10:22 PM.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 104

It is all just a method and there is no right or wrong way to do things just different. As far as paper towels absorbing more yes but when you put on a glove tip or plastic bag you are not using all that is on the bag either so enough with that nonsense too. I use blue shop towels to put my CA on and do one to 2 wipes back and forth and done. Rip another small piece off for next layer and so on This is my tried and true method that works well for me and has been for whatever time I have been doing pens. I find I get more even application than with those plastic bags. Again my opinion as all other have given their opinions. Find something that works for you and stick with it and you will keep getting more proficient at it. Yes experiment if you chose and that is how you find what works for YOU!!! Happy finishing.

By the way welcome to the site and this being your first post. Hope you stick around and any questions ask away.

My Photo Album

Last edited by jttheclockman; 12-18-2018 at 09:57 PM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have found, through careful trials and research, that I can screw up a good CA finish with every method mentioned. And get a great finish with each one. I am searching for the consistency I desire, which will most likely come from practice and experience from any one of the methods. None are a magic wand for CA finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I have enjoyed the kool aid of: plastic bags, craft foam and various blue towels. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that the blue towel wins. I buy 16 oz of CA so the amount a towel steals is not a factor. If I have less bad stuff happen with any method - I’m in. I want quality, low sanding, no ruined blanks after lots of time in them and smooth glossy finish.

I’m happy with four coats of thin, quick spray of accelerant, 12 coats of Pen finish CA (thicker than thin and thinner than medium) with quick sprays after each. Wait for curing, sand, buff and press it together. With high end or tough grain I give more coats maybe 20. They are easy, consistent and sell.

Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by mmayo; 12-18-2018 at 11:32 PM.
mmayo is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads