Applying Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AKBeaver

Well after reading all the articles and posts on CA/BLO finish and decals I had to try it out. Was amazed on the CA finish. Then I applied the decal using Micro Set, let it dry, then applied a CA coat. Noticed a funny color at the decal and stopped the lathe. The CA or the BLO caused the decal to disintegrate. was able tho get all the remnants off.

I re-read the decal threads, and found out that if you use Micro Set, you need to wait 24 hours for the decal to set. Applied another decal and let it set. Tonight starting applying the CA, and again the decal dissolved.

I used a decal from an Italian plastic model. Should I forget model decals and print my own? Any thoughts on what went wrong? My thought now is that the setting spray in the Testor's kit is a clear lacquer which not only sets the printer ink, but is also a buffer from the acid in the CA. Am I on the right track? Didn't think to take a picture until just now.

Thanks in advance

Dave

rjwolfe3

I used the ones that you print off. I used that spray on mine to set the ink and then waited 24 hours. I then applied the CA finish (2-3 coats). Then I sanded with micro-mesh and that is when I had problems. I must have got it too hot because the CA bubbled off of the decal and the whole thing lifted up. So I sanded that down and tried again only this time with Unaxol with 6 coats over the decal. That one too lifted off when I went to blow the dust off with compressed air. So I tried it again with CA and it worked that time. I don't have a magic answer but will be watching this thread to see what others say. If no one posts, try to pm'ing Grizz. He wrote a good tutorial on it.

ken69912001

I would print your own decals. That is what I do.I spray the decal before its applied. I also found that you need to spray enough coats of the Testors which will prevent the decal from curling up to much when you go to apply it to the pen. Then apply thin CA without using accelerator. Let it dry naturally. A couple coats should do it. Dont see a need to use BLO on it. I then apply my medium CA for my finish.
Oh as a side note I do seal the blank of wood with thin CA and use 0000 steel wool on it to smooth the CA before applying the decal.

Last edited:

AKBeaver

Thanks Rob and Ken,
I printed out a set and everything worked as it was supposed to. I guess if I need to use commercial or model decals I will spray a couple coats of the Testors to keep the CA from attacking the decal.

Will post pics once I get around to taking them.

Dave

Top Bottom