Applying Craft Coat on darker woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nodrogs

Hi, just finished my ninth pen last night. Have been using Craft Coat on most of them and I do like it. However, the last pen was indian rosewood (darkest wood I've worked with so far) and I had some bother getting a good finish with the craft coat.

I have been applying on the lathe and my main problem has been getting circular lines around the pen (i.e. similar to sanding marks if not sanded longitudinally). I thought I would try Ed Browns method of applying the craft coat, then let it dry overnight, followed by quick sand with 600 grit. I then went through the micro mesh but still pen didn't buff up. I don't have a buffing machine but I do have plenty of products for buffing lacquers on cars so I tried some of these but still couldn't get the craft coat to get any sort of slight shine (I know it tends to be more satin than gloss but I couldn't get anything).

I then sanded back and started again, this time dabbing the craft coat along the pen instead of dragging it. Pen finished up very bumpy and was not really successful.

In the end I found the best way was to apply very very little on at a time and just gradually work it up, but looking closely I still see some small lines. Has any body any recommendations for what works for them, bearing in mind I don't yet have a buffing station?! Thanks!

Top Bottom