Applying a CA Finish Video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

Here's my latest video on applying a CA finish. Hopefully it will help some of you new guys out there.
Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAY8phk4Uh4

Nouveau Sceptre maple Wood 3.jpg Nouveau Sceptre maple Wood 2.jpg Nouveau Sceptre maple Wood 1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
While a skew in the proper hands does produce a fantastic finish, some of the way you are using a skew is kind of backwards, in that you are peeling off the bottom edge (look for Alan Lacer videos) and some is using it as a negative rake scraper (when used flat on the tool rest).
I am not saying it is wrong, because it works for you.
BUT, using an abrasive afterwards flattens the wood and will help with the way the light reflects and reacts off of the bumps that aren't knocked down with abrasives, creating specular highlights that are being filled in with CA. Kind of like filling in shag carpet (from 50K'). Yes it will fill in and hold a shine, but the way the light hits it will be better if you sanded some first.
The problem with sanding and using a CA finish is (like any other film/filling finish) is go too high and the pores are too clogged to accept the finish. I would recommend to sand to 320 or 400 and then start the CA finish, see if it works better.

The finish will be just as shiny, but that isn't the only aspect that needs to be addressed because you can always add more coats of CA to fill in the voids. But too much depth of finish creates greater problems as it will crack over time because it expands and contracts at a different rate than the wood.
The trick is just enough coats to allow for a glass finish and still allow for wear without too many coats to where it will crack over time.

I am not saying what you showed here doesn't work, it obviously does for you and I hope you continue to experiment. Never say what you have done today is your best ever tomorrow.

Top Bottom