Anyone tried Aussie Oil? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
RKB

Photos: 0

Default Anyone tried Aussie Oil?

Looking for feedback on Aussie Oil friction polish? I see it listed in the new Penn State catalog?
Thanks
Rod
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm new to penturning (and the IAP), but I've used aussie oil for general purposes plenty (it's been out a while here in Australia). One of my favourite finishes for turning, or for small pieces which aren't round.

It needs a bit of elbow grease if you're using it off the lathe (not a worry for pens), but that's the only negative I can think of. I'm sure it won't be as durable as a CA finish for pens, but I haven't noticed durability issues with it in general.

It's very, very fast to apply on the lathe, and a little goes a long way - will be especially true for pens.
rtyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtyuiop View Post
I'm new to penturning (and the IAP), but I've used aussie oil for general purposes plenty (it's been out a while here in Australia). One of my favourite finishes for turning, or for small pieces which aren't round.

It needs a bit of elbow grease if you're using it off the lathe (not a worry for pens), but that's the only negative I can think of. I'm sure it won't be as durable as a CA finish for pens, but I haven't noticed durability issues with it in general.

It's very, very fast to apply on the lathe, and a little goes a long way - will be especially true for pens.
Just curious... How long have you had a finished pen/other turning with this finish applied?

I am always looking for additional finishes to try
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 49

I just started using some after seeing Barry Gross do so at the MAPG. Cant say about long term durability yet but can say it is very easy to apply, and leaves a brilliant shine with only a drop or two of usage. I will continue to use this until I find something better.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Just curious... How long have you had a finished pen/other turning with this finish applied?
I think (don't quote me!) it would be about 14 months, but that was on a small box which doesn't get handled anywhere near as much as a pen. It lasts pretty well for a general finish in my opinion, I'm just not sure if that'll translate to getting finger oils on it all the time!
rtyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
Looking for feedback on Aussie Oil friction polish? I see it listed in the new Penn State catalog?
Thanks
Rod
G'day Rod

I don't recall hearing about this Aussie oil before so, I can;t say anything about it, I do however feel curious about this product and I will search for a location that sell's it.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 57

George, Jim Carroll has it. It's part of Ubeaut's line of finishes.

One thing, everyone, read the instructions for the best finish.
Pat Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 4

See AS has introductory offer selling stuff at $10.25

Aussie Oil (2 Ounce) - Hi Gloss Rubbing Oil: Arizona Silhouette

Guess better follow instructions or risk a gummy mess.

https://www.pennstateind.com/library/ao.pdf

Good luck with it!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
RKB

Thread Bump....sorry. It's pricey and was looking for any updated reports.

Thanks
Rod
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2017, 03:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry to dig this thread up, but just spotted it and as a Shellawax user looking for a non-CA alternative, this caught my attention.

Up until this point, I have been using EEE with Shellawax Cream. (The cream is not ideal, but was all that was available on the store I was buying from originally before I knew better).

I have tried CA and just don't like it. That's my taste, and all that needs to be said on the CA subject.

I was originally looking at buying a bottle of Shellawax GLOW to replace the cream, but when I saw this thread I thought I would have a peek at Aussie Oil, as it is considerably cheaper than GLOW and description sounded promising but I couldn't find much info online beyond the information U-Beaut offers.

I emailed U-Beaut my question comparing Aussie Oil to the Shellawax products for my application, got a reply back within the hour and very impressed with the response. Kudos to them for their customer service!

Here is their response re Aussie Oil vs Shellawax GLOW:

Either would be better for pens than Shellawax Cream which is basically for bigger turned work like bowls, platters etc. It is also used as an extender for Shellawax and Glow.

If I was to buy one of the 3 Shellawax products to do everything I would go for Glow.

Both Glow and Aussie oil will give much the same finish. If anything the oil will make the grain pop slightly more.

They are both based on Hard Shellac and basically create a French polished finish through friction. Both need multiple coats on pens and other constantly handled items like salt and pepper mills, etc. also for anything that's in an area where it may be wet like bathrooms and kitchens where there is a lot of steam.

Glow will have a slippery feel when dry, Aussie Oil will have the same sort of feel but with a slight grab.

All the Shellawaxes and the Aussie Oil need to have around 20 days to fully cross link so they have their full ability to withstand marking from alcohol, water and heat, etc.

Aussie Oil will work over EEE as will Glow however for pens it is sometimes better to sand up to minimum of 1200 grit and higher if you have it then apply the finish directly to the timber rather than use the EEE which will leave a minute amount of wax in the timber and may make the finish a little softer than direct application.

Hopefully that information is of some help to anyone looking at either Shellawax or Aussie Oil.

I am thinking that I will try the Aussie Oil next, as it is a lot cheaper than GLOW and sounds like it produces great results with a slightly grippier finish.

One day I might give CA a go again, but for now I'll stick with these.

JP
JP1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads