Antler Finishing ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kinger

I decided to cut up some whitetail sheds that i have lying around and got first one down to about size that I need it at and just realized i have no idea best route to go about finishing it. What do you guys recommend CA or just MM it til its smooth, Ive gotten pretty good with my skew where its smooth enough now i dont want to take reg sandpaper to it but not sure what finish looks best and if theres any problems with it cracking or staining if just leave it bare

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kinger

Awesome thanks, didnt want to turn it down to far if CA wasnt a good idea to use on it

Jim Smith

I use a few coats of CA folowed by MM upto 12000, especially if I get down into the more poreous center of the antler.

Jim Smith

I do either or. I have put CA on antler and have left it sanded and waxed. It really depends on how you want it to feel and look.

MarkD

I usually use CA on them however once in a while if they are solid I will just sand and buff a few.

Cherrywalk

I like to finish my antler products in dipping lacquer. When I can, I like to leave some of the antler untouched and natural so dipping is about my only option. I have had great luck finishing pens this way. I also find it help you "feel" the natural essence of the antler while still giving a hard finish.

watch_art

I like to finish my antler products in dipping lacquer. When I can, I like to leave some of the antler untouched and natural so dipping is about my only option. I have had great luck finishing pens this way. I also find it help you "feel" the natural essence of the antler while still giving a hard finish.

What's this dipping lacquer? Sounds interesting.

rherrell

If it's smooth with no "bark" showing then CA is OK but if you have bark then just MM is the way to go. CA fills up the natural voids in the bark and looks terrible...IMO.

Top Bottom