Antler finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theidlemind

You can leave it the way the deer left it, unfinished.
As long as you didn't get into the pith it will be fine.
There is also lacquer dipping, urethane dipping, and plexitone dipping out there.

Unfinished works for me a lot.

kooster

Thank you. Since I'm a NuB, where can I find info on these different methods of dipping. Sounds interesting.

Steve Busey

Don't be afraid of CA on antler - you don't have to pull up an awesome shine; in fact, that probably detracts from the material.

I'd suggest a couple coats of thin CA, then hit it lightly with the two coarsest MicroMesh pad (or 400 or 600 grit sandpaper) to leave a satiny finish. The CA serves as a simple barrier between the user's hand and the organic matter in the antler.

kooster

Thanks Steve. You're to be commended on your contributory committment to The Community School. I guess I'm still a little hesitant to attempt the CA venture just yet. I'm slowly building up my courage tho. Thanks again.

kooster

Is there a specific method/procedure for dipping lacquer or urethane? I've checked out the plexitone method but couldn't find anything specific on the other two. Don't know if the time involved with the plexitone would be worth the trouble if there are other alternatives just as good.

paintspill

although i haven't tried it yet i would imagine a wax/friction finish would work. that would seal it but still give you the feel of the antler. i might just have to try it myself.

kooster

Sounds DOable. Any particular brand as a preference?
If you don't mind me asking, in your gallery, what is the material you used for
the fountain pens you call J.M's MBA SET? Nice work on the pens you have illustrated.

paintspill

Sounds DOable. Any particular brand as a preference?
If you don't mind me asking, in your gallery, what is the material you used for
the fountain pens you call J.M's MBA SET? Nice work on the pens you have illustrated.

thanks

they are ebony and deer antler, both with a ca finish on satin finish cigars. the set are the ones below the heading in this case. as for the fountain pens, the one in the back is lilac, and the the other, is the now nearly famous "roasted pine" is cross cut pine burnt with a torch then coated in ca. it was for a past pith, the theme was pine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom