Another take on CA/BLO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

Haven't seen this posted anywhere and thought I would put in my two cents worth on something I found out this week.

Trying to put on a CA/BLO finish to a cocobolo pen, I kept getting an imperfection (almost like a chatter) in the finish. Took the finish down and reapplied. Still there. Found it was my last two (8k/12k) MM sheets had gunk in them. Here is where I found out a little secret (maybe, maybe not). I applied the CA/BLO over the imperfections and this time I let the pen spin for a minute before wiping off the excess BLO. SWEET! The chatter marks from the MM where gone. The finish was a little duller than normal (but still had a shine), so I hit it with TSW and the shine came back.

If this is already known and has been posted, I apologize for duplicating, but I have not found any reference to this. Hope it helps someone out in the future.

woodscavenger

Thanks for the info. Any finishing tips are appreciated. Actually I am finding myself not using the MM becuase of gunking. I have been wet sanding with BLO to 1200 with automitive paper with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom