Another decal question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

A friend wanted a pen for his girl with the words "Believe" - heart in the middle - and the letter J. I the used Lazertran inkjet waterslide decal with my Epson Artisan 837. No need for any Krylon. Nothing ran after application to the pen barrel HOWEVER when it dried there was an annoying white background (like a white haze) that only went away when the decal was wet and reappeard when it dried. Anybody know how to get rid of this white? The photo is after another 15 coats of CA and MM'd to 12k and polished. At certain angles it's hard to pick up but it's there. Will oil bassed poly get rid of the white or does someone have another suggestion? I appreciate your time on this.

Attachments

• Custom Decal - Wall St ll Twist.jpg
    Custom Decal - Wall St ll Twist.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

This is just my opinion, and I hate to give it, but I think the white haze is probably the decal film not adhering clearly to the wood or the ca reacting to moisture on the decal film. You will probably have to sand it off and redo it. I hope I am wrong and someone offers an easier solution. If you didn't do it this time, I would suggest building a nice smooth clear CA layer before you adhear the decal. The film of the decal will blend better and be more clear on the CA than on the wood. I usually sand and micro mesh a ca finish first, like finishing the pen, then add the decal after I get it good and dry, and rebuild a CA finish. Good luck!

vakmere

This is just my opinion, and I hate to give it, but I think the white haze is probably the decal film not adhering clearly to the wood or the ca reacting to moisture on the decal film. You will probably have to sand it off and redo it. I hope I am wrong and someone offers an easier solution. If you didn't do it this time, I would suggest building a nice smooth clear CA layer before you adhear the decal. The film of the decal will blend better and be more clear on the CA than on the wood. I usually sand and micro mesh a ca finish first, like finishing the pen, then add the decal after I get it good and dry, and rebuild a CA finish. Good luck!

Yea, I thought that also so I did a test on a piece of plastic not related to the pen and the same film appeared. I did have about 4-5 apps of CA on the blank before attaching the decal. Its possibly the properties of this particular decal paper.

wouldentu2?

Yea, I thought that also so I did a test on a piece of plastic not related to the pen and the same film appeared. I did have about 4-5 apps of CA on the blank before attaching the decal. Its possibly the properties of this particular decal paper.[/QUOTE]

Did you polish the 4-5 apps of CA to a high shine? If not decal may show.

vakmere

Yes, I did all that HOWEVER in my R&D I made a discovery. After doing another test blank with CA finish I put on a strip of this decal, came back in an hour after it dried, the white haze was there again, got out the BLO and putting a dot on a Q-tip rubbed it on the decal. The haze went away and 3 hours later was still gone. Problem solved.

akingkubo

Yes, I did all that HOWEVER in my R&D I made a discovery. After doing another test blank with CA finish I put on a strip of this decal, came back in an hour after it dried, the white haze was there again, got out the BLO and putting a dot on a Q-tip rubbed it on the decal. The haze went away and 3 hours later was still gone. Problem solved.

That's a great tip! I too have problems with the white haze. I need to try your tip and see if it works. Thanks!

vakmere

Good news, the BLO does work . Using Lazertran Inkjet Waterslide Decals is now easier and faster. For inkjets the ink dries on this decal paper quickly, like in 30 seconds. No need for acrylic sprays and long waiting times and will not smear. My printer? Epson Artisan 837.
Here is how I did it:
After sanding your blank smooth use 3 - 4 apps of thin CA. Sand it smooth again with 800 grit then wipe off the dust. Cut your decal close to the logo or lettering, place it in water for a minute, Slide the decal on the blank and dab with a kleenex - not a paper towel making sure you gently hold the decal in place. Let it dry. Within a minute you will see the white. Set the blank aside for a 1/2 hour so it can dry. (I hate waiting to but it works). Take a Q-tip and put a drop of BLO in it, starting from the middle of the decal gently paint the BLO on and around the perimiter of the decal. Viola!! White haze is gone. Wait another 10 minutes. With the lathe off start with a drop or two of thin CA, start from the center of the decal and work your way outward, continue around the blank. Let it dry, NO accelerator at this point. Do this 3 more times, turn the lathe on, then you can go with medium CA for another 12-15 coats using accelerator if you want. The decal is sufficiently sealed and now you may wet sand with MM thru all the grits stopping early on to make sure no sanding lines are present. The photos are of a piece of Redheart on a Stratus. I would venture to think that you can use colors in the lettering or design. If done on acrylic then the same approach is needed because you have to make up for the thickness of the decal. Remember, be patient and artistic in applying the decal and CA, practice on a couple spare blanks.
Have fun, any questions I'll be glad to help.

Attachments

• DSC04074.jpg
    DSC04074.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC04079.jpg
    DSC04079.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 191
Top Bottom