Anodising aluminium electrolyte

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Hey chaps
Wasn't sure on the best place to post this thread... figured finishing was the closest match but still feels an out of place category.

When anodising Aluminium, we use sulphuric acid (sulfuric, another one of those words us brits spell differently :tongue: )

The trouble I have found this time around is that it seems to be more difficult to get hold of. The last time I purchased it I picked up 5 Litres of concentrate rather easily online.

So, instead I searched for battery acid, and sure enough its available to buy everywhere for around £10 per litre.

Battery Acid electrolyte ranges in concentration from 30-40% of sulphuric acid. For the purposes of anodising we only need half that strength so we can dilute it with distilled water by 50%

To make myself a 4 Litre anodising bath, I purchased two litres of battery acid.

Just thought Id put this bit of info out there for anyone else who is chewing the idea over of anodising aluminium

its_only_me

You can buy it in small quantities amazon has 1 litre but no cheap.

It is now classed a an explosive precursor

"From 3 March 2016, members of the public who want to possess or use these chemicals must hold a licence issued by the Home Office and an associated photographic identity document."

Top Bottom