Amalga-Mutt????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I turned, sanded to 600 grit, CA finish, micro polish to 12000 with pads, finish with plastic polish. That's how I did mine.

I turned, sanded to 600 grit, CA finish, micro polish to 12000 with pads, finish with plastic polish. That's how I did mine.

Did you not get a lot of scratches in the acrylic portion by just going to 600? Seems you would still see them under the CA. (note: I don't do a CA finish. First time I tried I broke out in an allergic reaction and have not tried one since.)

SDB777

On the blanks Eugene sent to me....

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
NO!

Very forgiving blanks, but I'm pretty anal about making sure I sand correctly anyway!

Scott (Eugene is an A+ vendor) B

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Did you not get a lot of scratches in the acrylic portion by just going to 600? Seems you would still see them under the CA. (note: I don't do a CA finish. First time I tried I broke out in an allergic reaction and have not tried one since.)
CA actually fills in those tiny scratches and helps in eliminating them.

Drstrangefart

CA actually fills in those tiny scratches and helps in eliminating them.

Interesting to know. I have always sanded to 2000 or finer thinking the scratches would show.

I build my ca finishes up thick sand the excess off with 600 to make it as dead smooth as humanly possible, then tag it with a coat of thin, and it's ready for polish.

Sherwood95

Finishing

Hi there
I am a complete newbie to this game I only started turning pens seriously two weeks ago although I have been turning for over twenty years. This forum has proven invaluable to me already as it introduced me to CA finishing which I had never used before so thanks for that. I went through all the steps as described by your good selves and came to that last part were you really want to make sure you have that real good shine. I looked on my shelves and found some preparation called "Mer" its a compound for cutting back and polishing caravans and boats made of fibreglass. A little on the finger smeared on the blank turn on the lath gently off with a soft cloth at low speed RESULT really brought the gloss out...

Seeing as I am a newbie I just had to share:highfive:

Sherwood95

Finishing

Hi there
I am a complete newbie to this game I only started turning pens seriously two weeks ago although I have been turning for over twenty years. This forum has proven invaluable to me already as it introduced me to CA finishing which I had never used before so thanks for that. I went through all the steps as described by your good selves and came to that last part were you really want to make sure you have that real good shine. I looked on my shelves and found some preparation called "Mer" its a compound for cutting back and polishing caravans and boats made of fibreglass. A little on the finger smeared on the blank turn on the lath gently off with a soft cloth at low speed RESULT really brought the gloss out...

Seeing as I am a newbie I just had to share:highfive:

Top Bottom