Aluminum pen finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pendoc1

There are some great looking aluminum and titanium metal pens posted in the gallery with superb finishes on them! I recently got some aluminum and now I am thinking about turning an aluminum pen. However, I am not sure how to finish it. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob A

I'm no expert on aluminum pens but I have turned two of them. I didn't use anything more than micro mesh. I have been carrying one of them in my cell phone case for about 10 months now and considering the abuse it has taken it still looks pretty good.

Like I said though I am not an expert with aluminum. Someone will likely come along with a better option. Then you and I can both learn something.

Tom McMillan

Hey Todd--Looks like you deserve a WELCOME to IAP!!!! I'm a novice at making metal pens---my spiral aluminum/brass pen being my first all metal pen. I'm going to resand the grooves in the spirals. I wasn't sure what to use and was told that lacquer would be a good choice, and I'm looking into that. But I think that was mostly for the brass although when I do it it will cover both---I'm not sure about aluminum. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will give more info.

btboone

Yup, a wax or lacquer will keep finger acids from eating at it. Netiher is really necessary if the pen is wiped down every once in a while.

pendoc1

Sorry for not introducing myself before submitting a question. I have been turning pens since January 2004. I have made about 50-60 pens so far. Most of them are domestic and exotic hardwoods. I have turned about 10 antler pens with good success. I am just now starting to experiment with dyes, alternative materials, inlays, etc. Thanks for all the comments about finishing so far. I will try to submit some of my work soon to the gallery.

Ryan

pendoc1 Posted - Mar 06 2005 : 01:55:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There are some great looking aluminum and titanium metal pens posted in the gallery with superb finishes on them! I recently got some aluminum and now I am thinking about turning an aluminum pen. However, I am not sure how to finish it. Any suggestions?"

Can some one tell me if you need to use some sort of carbide tools to turn these or will the HSS tools do the job? I have some one that wants a magnesium pen. I do not know if I would go that far but he would buy a titanium.

Thanks,
Ryan

btboone

Hi Ryan, I do use carbide insert tools for titanium. High Speed Steel tools could be used, but they heat up much quicker and dull very quickly. They need to be run very slowly. Keep in mind that titanium and magnesium both can burn if they get too hot in fine shavings. Keep the area clear of sawdust and other things that can burn. Titanium is very difficult to drill. Use lots of coolant and slow rpms (like 80 rpms).

Ryan

Thanks for the reply.

What type of coolant should be used? Are you saying that magnesium can be done? I was fearing I would blow up my house. He will pay me $80 for a slimline in Magnesium.

Thanks,
Ryan

btboone

Hi Ryan, I use Valcool, which is a synthetic coolant that gets water added to it. You could use WD-40 or water in a pinch. I don't recommend machining magnesium if you don't have experience with stuff like that. It burns much easier than titanium. It won't blow up, but could start a fire that can't be put out with conventional means. Back in wartime, if a plane with a burning magnesium wheel hub landed on a carrier, they would push it overboard because the fire could burn all the way through the ship. Something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom