Alternative accelerator for CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timberbits

Hi Guys

When applying a CA finish on my pens, I use to use Mitrefix as an accelerator.

I have found a cheaper more readily available product.

I have been experimenting with a few alternatives and found Glen 20 to be best. Its cheap and makes you workshop smell fresh.

This is what the pen looks like finished.

110914 026B.jpg 110914 039B.jpg

Watch the video and let me know what you think of it.

Thanks for watching.

Timberbits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-Jh5Sa1jY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

Nice find. Seems like it works well. I have never heard of Glen 20. I'll have to look around for it. This is a disinfectant? Do you know what the active ingredient is in it that acts as an accelerator?

timberbits

There is a 5. Click more from this user to find it. I want 6 & 7 ;)

Video 6 is in post production (takes so long to film and produce). Hopefully the wife will take the kids shopping and leave me with some time on the weekend. It will probably push out another 3 or 4 Videos.

Do you guys find the Videos helpful?

Pretty pen. What kind of wood is that.

Will have to peruse the video tonight.

The timber is Tasmanian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon). Botanically its very similar to Hawaiian Koa. Its now getting very hard to find - the big American guitar manufacturers have come and purchased all the logs that they can get their hands on.

Timberbits.

rizaydog

I looked up the msds sheets on both Glen 20 and Lysol disinfectant spray. Glen 20 contains 30-60 % of ethanol. Lysol disinfectant spray (any scent) contains 79% ethanol by weight. The remaining % is propellant, either hydrocarbon or carbon dioxide respectively, and other non hazardous ingredients.

timberbits

Can anyone explain me how you can make a steel can, fill it up with hydrocarbons, ethanol and perfume, paint the can, ship it in a box to a warehouse then onto a retail outlet, put it on a shelf and sell it for $3.80. In that process, the factory makes money, the cardboard box manufacturers makes money, the trucking company makes money and the retailer makes money. We live a pretty fantastic society to be able the make this equation work. It is just amazing.

rizaydog

I did a little expirement tonight. I went and both lysol disinfectant, containing about 70% ethanol, and also the generic dollar general brand disinfectant that has almost 40% ethanol. I laid a bead of thick ca on a piece of wood and sprayed it with the lysol. I laid another bead on another piece of wood and sprayed it with the DG brand. Both worked about the same. A small shot of either produces a thin whitish layer over the bead. It was a thick bead so only the top layer cured and underneath was still pliable.
Next, I laid one more bead and sprayed the hell out of it. It foamed up a lot, but hardened quickly.

I also found THIS and THIS discussion on the subject if anyone wants to take a peak. From what I have read, the active ingredient can be anything that is a base. Apperently, Ca glue is accidic and wont harden until it gets the PH down.

moke

I did a little expirement tonight. I went and both lysol disinfectant, containing about 70% ethanol, and also the generic dollar general brand disinfectant that has almost 40% ethanol. I laid a bead of thick ca on a piece of wood and sprayed it with the lysol. I laid another bead on another piece of wood and sprayed it with the DG brand. Both worked about the same. A small shot of either produces a thin whitish layer over the bead. It was a thick bead so only the top layer cured and underneath was still pliable.
Next, I laid one more bead and sprayed the hell out of it. It foamed up a lot, but hardened quickly.

I also found THIS and THIS discussion on the subject if anyone wants to take a peak. From what I have read, the active ingredient can be anything that is a base. Apperently, Ca glue is accidic and wont harden until it gets the PH down.

Thanks for doing all the leg work!!!

RSidetrack

How do you keep the lysol from turning the finish white. I have tried and tried even sanding between coats but my ca turns white. I have tried very little to a lot of lysol. I have done thin ca to thick ca. Everytime itbis white. Though it is hard as a rock so in that sense it is working.

tool-man

I tried a can a Lysol, and intend to experiment some more. My observation is the Lysol droplet size or mist, is larger or heavier than the mist from my standard can of accelerator. I believe the large droplets are what is causing the white dots to form (too rapid hardening) on the CA surface. Holding the spray can too close to the pen also makes the white dot problem worse.

How do you keep the lysol from turning the finish white. I have tried and tried even sanding between coats but my ca turns white. I have tried very little to a lot of lysol. I have done thin ca to thick ca. Everytime itbis white. Though it is hard as a rock so in that sense it is working.

BadTouch

I've been a member on this forum for about an hour and have learned a couple things already. For sure on this thread.

Top Bottom