Alcohol and CA Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jnwoodworks

Hello to all,

I made a fountain pen for a friend of mine who is a surgeon, and the pen was finished with Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus, and then topped off with 2 coats of Carnauba wax.

He contacted me today, and described how the finish is wearing off (after only a week of use), due to the fact that he must constantly clean is hands with alcohol, and there is usually a residue leftover that comes in contact with the pen.

My question is this: will finishing a new pen with CA get rid of this problem, or is there still a risk of the alcohol degrading the finish/sheen even with the CA?

If so, is there a different finish process I should be looking at?

Thank you an advance for any advice!

leehljp

Member Liaison
You just discovered a truth that many cannot understand until they see it for themselves - how hand usage on wood pens soil it quickly. Wax will not prevent that. And, It was not just the alcohol, but rather the oils from his hand and maybe other things. Cleaning hands with alcohol gets the dirt and germs OFF, but it does not prevent the built in skin mechanism from secreting oils and even light (almost un-noticeable) sweat on the palms and even fingers. Alcohol cleaned hands do not prevent the body replenishing the oils in a matter of an hour or so.

If he uses it multiple times a day with bare hands, I would bet that if he did a molecular study of the soil, it would be more than just "alcohol" related.

I have written on this a dozen times over the years. If you look at the most often used kitchen cabinet, you will see the results of recently washed but still soiled hands on the cabinet door edge or around the handle. That is natural. And the kitchen cabinet is probably opened 2 to 6 times a day at the most. So why do we assume that a pen that is used 10 to 20 times a day with a tighter grip is not going to get soiled?

CA, lacquer, Enduro and a few others will do well. Shellac will not stand up to alcohol.

Wax will not do it. Put on a good thick coating of CA (or other) after you re-sand sand or re-turn turn the pen. Caution: If you sand the soiled spot only out and then refinish, the just sanded spot will shine through and look somewhat awkward. The whole pen should be sanded or re-turned, or the old and new contrast will be obvious.

Last edited:

jnwoodworks

You just discovered a truth that many cannot understand until they see it for themselves - how hand usage on wood pens soil it quickly. Wax will not prevent that. And, It was not just the alcohol, but rather the oils from his hand and maybe other things. Cleaning hands with alcohol gets the dirt and germs OFF, but it does not prevent the built in skin mechanism from secreting oils and even light (almost un-noticeable) sweat on the palms and even fingers. Alcohol cleaned hands do not prevent the body replenishing the oils in a matter of an hour or so.

If he uses it multiple times a day with bare hands, I would bet that if he did a molecular study of the soil, it would be more than just "alcohol" related.

I have written on this a dozen times over the years. If you look at the most often used kitchen cabinet, you will see the results of recently washed but still soiled hands on the cabinet door edge or around the handle. That is natural. And the kitchen cabinet is probably opened 2 to 6 times a day at the most. So why do we assume that a pen that is used 10 to 20 times a day with a tighter grip is not going to get soiled?

CA, lacquer, Enduro and a few others will do well. Shellac will not stand up to alcohol.

Wax will not do it. Put on a good thick coating of CA (or other) after you re-sand sand or re-turn turn the pen. Caution: If you sand the soiled spot only out and then refinish, the just sanded spot will shine through and look somewhat awkward. The whole pen should be sanded or re-turned, or the old and new contrast will be obvious.

Alcohol and power tools don't mix. I usually save my drinking for after the shop and in the family room.
Hahahahahahahaha!!! Sometimes I just crack myself up.
On the serious side, alcohol will not degrade a CA finish.

Thank you Hank and Ted for the helpful information! I started to make the connection on my own, and recently switched to a CA finish, noticing an immediate difference both in quality and longevity!

Unfortunately, the pen is in Hong Kong, so it looks like i'll be turning another one for him. Thanks again!

Top Bottom