Airbrushing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pecartus

When using the lacquer with the airbrush, Do you thin the lacquer and if so what mixture best works for you? I have tried this in the past with little success and gave up on it, because of the nozzle plugging up (even with thinned Lacquer). Not sure what the problem was with it.

dougle40

I just noticed this old post and thought I'd try to answer some of the questions asked here .
I've been airbrushing for about 8 years now and I think that one of the problems that Patrick may be having is from using lacquer that is meant for either brushing or with regular spray gun use . If that's what you are using , it HAS to be strained first to get rid of the larger particles that WILL plug up the very small nozzles in an airbrush , especially a flat or semi-gloss . I would suggest buying a lacquer that is specifically made for airbrushing , it is prestrained for you and comes in either water based or lacquer based . Beleive it or not the best gloss paint that I've ever used is actually a product designed for taxidermy use and is called "Competition Gloss" and is available from "WASCO" taxidermy supplies . Their link is below .

http://www.taxidermy.com/

As for consistency , it should be a little thicker than plain water .

dougle40

Just as a PS: to the above post -- I use 2 different air brushes 1 is a Pasche basic unit with 3 spray heads , single action and the other is an Iwata Eclipse dual action . I use the Pasche for any items that require just a complete covering , like a final finish , and the dual action Iwata for delicate work .

Kurt Aebi

WASCO (www.taxidermy.com) also sell paints that are air-brush ready in both water based and lacquer based, if you are planning any color projects.

I also have a "Critter" spray gun for spraying different finishes on larger "Flat" projects, but use an inexpensive single action airbrush on turnings, like pens and bottle stoppers and calls, etc.

The Competition Gloss is meant as a clear coat for fish and it will not yellow over time as some "Clear" coats do. I've had great success with it both in Taxidermy and Woodworking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom