African blackwood corian and acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm finishing a pen that is African black wood, corian, and acrylic. I wiped it down with acetone and a lot of black residue came off, sawdust I think and the finish came out a little cloudy. Is it an oily wood and is acetone the best thing to use to clean the blank before a CA finish? This is my first CA finish on a wood this dark. Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I only use denatured alcohol. I've never used acetone so I'm not sure what problems you may have with it.

TurnaPen

Acetone is used to TAKE OFF ca, and may not be a good idea, metho or denatured alcohol would be best. Sometimes I put one coat of Shellawax on to help seal it after cleaning and follow on with CA with fairly good success. Amos.

jttheclockman

Acetone will melt the acrylic or give it a cloudy look. Denatured alcohol would be better. I like to use acetone on oily woods but not a mixture of materials.

I use only acetone to clean my blanks and have never had that problem. Remember, acetone evaporates quickly so nothing is left on the blank to react with the CA. From a chemistry perspective, if Acetone dissolves CA, then the two are compatable molecularly. That means that on a small scale, even if you put CA right on top of "wet" / acetone wood (which is only wet for about 5 seconds) it would not/should not interfere with the setup reaction, only slow it slightly.

HOWEVER, having never tried DNA I will purchase a bottle and give it a try to see for myself if there is a difference.

Happy Turning!!

DJ

Top Bottom