Adding Wenge to my list of woods I don't like finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Not sure if it's all Wenge, or just this blank but it gave me fits with a CA finish. Had to turn it back down twice and I'm still not happy with the end result.

The CA seems to have an issue with curing on the wood. I was done with applying layers, let it sit overnight, ran through the micromesh and couldn't get the radial scratches back out of it. Took it down to wood again, started again with thin and built up then a few top coats of medium...just like all my other pens...let it sit and had the same issue the next day with the radial scratches not coming out.

Finally I got through the micromesh and when I went to polish it, the polish burnt a ring into the finish...so again it is just not curing.

The only other wood I've had this problem with was Ebony.

Just wanted to vent...I now return you to your post christmas shopping :redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

I've never had a problem with CA sticking to Wenge. The only thing distasteful to me is the amount of CA to get a smooth finish because of how porous the wood is. But, if you're having any problems with CA adhereing to any wood, simply wipe the wood with acetone to remove the surface oils.

Buzzzz4

You are not the only one. In my earlier penturning days, I tried Wenge. Could not get a good CA finish on it. Haven't gone back to it since.

Yeah. I did some Wenge a long time ago. Really didn't like the results (which came at a lot of effort) so I put the remainder of the wood on a shelf. Took it off the shelf this Fall and tried again (since I am now an "experienced" pen finisher). Still took twice as long as any other wood (except, maybe, gaboon ebony) but I got a decent finish. I agree with Tim (above) that it just seems to take a lot of CA to get it to the point where polishing can start.

toddlajoie

Wenge will do fine without a finish also... It is used for fingerboards on instruments and is often left unfinished. Have to make sure you get in nice and smooth...

I've done several with CA finishes also, but can't say it was any harder that I expected it to be... Were you using only thin? I would think that thin would sink in all day long on it, so I might start with thin, but switch to medium after 2 or 3 coats of thin to help fill the soft areas without seeping in too much...

Top Bottom