accellerent sprayer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstump

I've been finishing a bunch of pens lately and use the CA/Blo method. I bought a mild CA accelerent form woodcraft, but really don't like the sprayer nozel that comes on the bottle. What do you seasoned ca finishers use?

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pen-turners

Don,
When using the CA/BLO method, you should not need an accelerator. The BLO will act as an accelerator and dry the CA on the blank.

Using an accelerator when finishing with CA is not recommended since it tends to turn the CA a cloudy color when applied. The small amount of CA that you apply for a finish should not need any help hardening since it is such a thin layer.

Chris

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, I'm stupid. I've seen it 100 times in the past week, what is BLO? If it is a tradename, who handles it?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I retract my question, search for glossary illuminated me! Now printing for future reference. Thanks Jim and the others who followed.

woodstump

I havent found that the mild accelant will discolor at all. I only started using it because it was in one of the instructions that I read on this forum about how to do blo/ca finishing. I agree, it really does dry quickly, but sometime I just hate standing there for 20 or 30 seconds waiting for it to dry, then a quick 5 seconds to apply another coat, and then wait 30 seconds again. I havent really timed it, but it just seems long when your watching it dry.

Originally posted by pen-turners
<br />Don,
When using the CA/BLO method, you should not need an accelerator. The BLO will act as an accelerator and dry the CA on the blank.

Using an accelerator when finishing with CA is not recommended since it tends to turn the CA a cloudy color when applied. The small amount of CA that you apply for a finish should not need any help hardening since it is such a thin layer.

Chris

I happened to be watching Woodturning on DIY and he actually had a episode on penturning. Basic stuff but the host made an intersting comment. Water, plain ol' h2o will act as an accelerant for CA. Have the chemists been taking us for money we could spend on kits????

PenPauli

Ah hah, maybe thats why I get a cloudy finish now when I use ca/blo. I used to only use ca but when I started using blo it got cloudy so I stopped. But was using accelerater. Ok thanks I just learned something new. Thanks again. Back down to the shop.

Gregory Huey

I think I have had pretty good results with the BLO/CA finish. IMHO the bounty paper towel does the accelerating. It seems to me that the BLO retards the drying of the CA a little bit. I could be wrong on the BlO but their is a diffinet reaction to the Bounty paper towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom