Accelerator keeps clouding up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I have gotten used to it but here is what's happening. I start with 2 coats of thin CA and then 2-4 coats of med CA. After that, I always spray accelerator and it clouds up my finish. I then sand with 4000mm and put about 2-4 more coats of med CA on. Then I MM sand to finish. I have gotten into the habit of using this method. I like using the accelerator in the middle of my finish to ensure the CA is hardened before putting on my last coats. Is there a reason why the accelerator always clouds up after I spray it on? I have sprayed it immediately, waited a minute and sprayed it, but either way I spray it clouds up. I've gotten used to this method but was wondering if maybe I'm applying the accelerator wrong. Thanks for any advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Think it is the outer surface of the CA that is clouding , not the accelerator . Believe it is caused by the on-going curing of the underneath layers of CA . Accelerator hastens cure initiation and hardens the surface , but that doesn`t mean that it is fully cured . You can prove that to yourself by taking a piece which has begun to show the haze , set it aside overnight , and then add more CA . The first coats won`t haze but if you put on too many the problem will reappear .

leehljp

Member Liaison
I experienced this on several occasions in temps below 70° and did not do any finishing below 50°. Too many problems in finish in cool temps. If your shop is heated, it should not be a temp problem though.

bsshog40

I always wait until the CA is dry to touch before I apply another coat. Not saying it's cured though but I have seen videos of people applying CA coat after coat. I have a 215,000 btu heater that I heat my shop up before applying CA. I also have two halogen spotlights that shine on my blanks and they give off some pretty good heat too. I try to get it about 65-70dg with the heater. It gets hotter than that but it takes extra heat to circulate in the shop. Could be temp.

bsshog40

I bought this a while back.

Attachments

• accelerator.jpg
    accelerator.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 140

Woodchipper

I use Titebond Accelerator from Woodcraft. I have never, so far, experienced any CA problems. In the colder weather, I heat the shop to the mid to upper 60s. That's about all it will do until I close off the metal garage door and insulate the wall.
Hank, thanks for your comment.

Pierre---

I experienced it only once, with a bad sprayer that spited drops instead of blowing a cloud of fine particles. So check the nozzle. Or try another brand with a better spray.

It also helps to spray when the lathe is running in my opinion, staying far from the pen (say 10" at least) to avoid dropping.

bsshog40

It also helps to spray when the lathe is running in my opinion, staying far from the pen (say 10" at least) to avoid dropping.
I run my lathe at the lowest speed for a few seconds when applying a quick blast of accelerator.
I do too! I apply ca at my lowest speed of 570rpms. When I spray accelerator, I'm usually at least 10-12" away. Half of the haze is mostly white dust but I still have to quick sand it to get it all off.

bsshog40

Well I bought both my ca and accelerator from the same place, rabid models. The can really doesn' have a brand name on it, just the sellers name. The ca I'm using is Robs R/C hobbies.

Top Bottom